Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

how to use test data when there is no record in source data?

ayush_mishra
8 - Asteroid

I am feeding my source data into 'Dynamic Input In-DB' tool after doing some filters. Sometimes, I get zero records after applying filters and as a result Dynamic In-Db  tool throws error. How can i update my workflow to use a test data to feed into Dynamic In-DB; when there is no record from source data?

9 REPLIES 9
aatalai
13 - Pulsar

@ayush_mishra 

can you stream out and use the test tool setting the expecting number to 0?

something like this

streamout and test.PNG

ayush_mishra
8 - Asteroid

hey @aatalai, here is a snapshot of my workflow

Capture.PNG

aatalai
13 - Pulsar

@ayush_mishra would a test tool not work in this case?

ayush_mishra
8 - Asteroid

nope

aatalai
13 - Pulsar

ok what about a conditional runner from the crew macros, would that help?

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/p/macros.html

condtional runner.PNG

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @ayush_mishra, what is the error you're getting? I don't get any errors when I output a sql query with no records

image.png

ayush_mishra
8 - Asteroid

@OllieClarke  snapshot below. I am applying filters in upstream process which contains inputs (line with unique/duplicate tool) for In-DB tool. Text input has my SQL query.

Capture.PNG

OllieClarke
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Ah @ayush_mishra the issue looks like column references in your sql don't exist in the table? The error is the

invalid identifier "CONCAT_SHIPMENT_LIST"

You might need a step which checks whether the SQL you're generating is valid. You can use SHOW COLUMNS in snowflake to list available columns, and then check whether the query you're generating works against it?

ayush_mishra
8 - Asteroid

@aatalai @OllieClarke thanks for sharing your suggestions. I used Union tool and passed test data through Text Input before In-db tool and filtered it out after In-db process.

Labels