Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

User defined selection for copy run command

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

Hi,

I have a run command working for copying a new excel file for every new report. 

So, I have the following command: 

copy "source fie path" "destination path"

This works for report A, B, C, D, E individually. 

I want to introduce a functionality whereby I want the user to select which reports they want to process. Accordingly the reports will run. So if they choose A and C only, the run command will work for creating report templates for A and C. 

And I am running each run command individually. I just filter for the reports and pass the data into the run command tool. It works fine for the reports I choose. But, in this situation, the run command throws an error for reports that were not selected - B, D, and E. Because, the command going into the run command is blank. 

'Failed to run the external program'

Any way I can handle that? 

Thanks in advance!

3 REPLIES 3
afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @Paulomi ,

Would recommend setting up a batch macro in this case. You could have a filter tool before the macro and only let pass trough the excel files you want to copy. I have similar workflows on my side that copy already a big amount of files and following this process has been my go though with it.

Regards

Paulomi
8 - Asteroid

@afv2688 But that will not take care of the error I receive right? Its working fine, it serves my purpose - I only create the templates I need, and not all. But the other reports get an error. 

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

In this case, since reports that are not selected would not be processed for the batch and therefore no error would be shown. This is the case if I am understanding the whole process.

Labels