Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

SQLDriverConnect errors thrown in all of my workflows suddenly

AL-RoAb
5 - Atom

I've been using Alteryx Designer for several months with very few hiccups. Earlier this week, every SQL-based input connection across all of my workflows started throwing SQLDriverConnect errors, from what appeared to be out of nowhere. It occurs not only when running, but also when trying to change tables, testing a connection, and seemingly any kind of SQL interaction. Same thing happens with new inputs in new workflows.

The exact error string I get every time:

"Error SQLDriverConnect: [Microsoft][ODBC Driver Manager] Data source name not found and no default driver specified"

I had not made any settings or updates in neither Alteryx or Windows, and the databases and tables which I used to interact with all the time are similarly unchanged. My PC has unchanged network access and config, and I've tried several connections across my various offices and locations, all with the same result. I have checked that I have access and connection to the databases through other means, such as SQL Management Studio.

What I have not yet tried is reinstalling Alteryx, but that feels tedious and not something I'd want to do regularly if this keeps happening.

The googling and searching that I've done so far has mostly advised about when the error happens initially during installation. I have not touched any DSN settings and I have only one user.

4 REPLIES 4
cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

Check the DSN in your ODBC Admin within windows. It sounds like something happened with the driver you are using to connect to the DB. 

BS_THE_ANALYST
14 - Magnetar

Worth checking the ODBC Drivers you have available in the ODBC Admin tab called "Drivers". If you've now got 18.0 for SQL Server there's some inherent issues arises with it: https://techcommunity.microsoft.com/t5/sql-server-blog/odbc-driver-18-0-for-sql-server-released/ba-p... 

AL-RoAb
5 - Atom

This is what I see as my ODBC drivers.

I'm not sure what to "check" or otherwise do with this information, I'm afraid I've never configured or troubleshooted database drivers like this. But I can tell that the date of the SQL Server one is the same day as all my flows broke, so perhaps what I need to do is to rollback or otherwise replace that version of SQL Server...?

cjaneczko
13 - Pulsar

You'd need to check your User/System/File DSN for the database you connect to and make sure that its assigned the driver that's in the Driver tab. My guess is they updated the System DSN somehow on you and its now broken. May need to submit a ticket with your local IT to make sure the System DSN is configured properly, or if you have the ability to create a File/User DSN. 

Labels