Announcement | We'll be doing maintenance between 2-3 hours, which may impact your experience. Thanks for your patience as we work on improving the community!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Negative 0 on Fixed Decimal Rate

broush009
5 - Atom

Howdy - I am computing a simple percentage in Designer 2020.4 and wondering if there is a bug in the fixed decimal datatype.

I am computing a rate using the numbers below and it seems that if the denominator is negative, even through the numerator is 0, Alteryx gives the result -0.00 in the detail. Numerator and Denominator are doubles and the formula to compute the rate (FixedDecimal 19.2) is: Round([Numerator]/[Denominator],.1).

I am doing some grouping based on this rate downstream in my workflow, so the -0.00 is causing some records to "Fail" the grouping (i.e., they are showing up as a different rate category when in reality it should just group with 0). It seems the solution here is to compute the rate as a double and then convert the rate field to FixedDecimal using a select tool subsequent, but I don't understand why there would be a difference in this case:

Screenshot 2023-10-23 102039.png

Update: Noted version 2020.4 and uploaded sample data.

SOLUTION: Computing the rate as double with the round formula and then changing to fixed decimal gets rid of the -0.00 and gives the expected grouping downstream. Seems like an unnecessary 2 step process, but unless someone has a more elegant solution, I think this is resolved. 

6 REPLIES 6
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

What verison of Alteryx are you running - and can you upload some sample data that is causing this?

broush009
5 - Atom

Hello @apathetichell I updated the post, noted version 2020.4 and included a yxdb of examples. 

albert_alaluf
9 - Comet

I'm using Alteryx Designer 2023.1 with patch 3, and not able to duplicate your issue. Do you consider to update to the latest version?

If this is a bug with older version, maybe you can write a IF formula, check with result vs expected result and make a correction.

Albert

broush009
5 - Atom

@albert_alaluf version update is not possible for me at this point, as noted, I was able to resolve by computing the rate as a double then changing to fixed decimal seems to fix the issue. Just wanted to see if this is something others were able to recreate or if this is a bug.

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Definitely a weird one. Alteryx is showing the - sign but views it as equivalent to 0. If you filter for 0 (0.00, or 0.0 - pending your number of digits) - you can see it's equal to 0.

BRRLL99
11 - Bolide

I'm also facing same issue

But when i filter = 0

then negative 0 is also getting filtered.

Version: 2022.3.1.553

Labels