Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Malformed If Statement

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone!  I'm relatively new to Alyterx and trying to comprise an IF statement that also nests with an AND statement.  I got the formula to work in Excel, but am having trouble converting it to Alteryx.  I've read some information about IF ELSE formulas in Alteryx, but I did a separate IF statement (without the AND) and it worked very similarly to how it works in Excel so I was trying to do the same for this.  Any help would be appreciated!

iif([Year]=1,DateTimeDiff([End Date1],[Start Date2],"days"),iif([Year]>1 AND [End Date1]>[End Date2],[End Date2]-[Start Date1],[End Date1]-[Start Date1])

3 REPLIES 3
BrandonB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Maybe give this a try?

IF [Year] = 1

THEN DateTimeDiff([End Date1],[Start Date2],"days")

ELSEIF [Year]>1 AND [End Date1]>[End Date2]

THEN [End Date2]-[Start Date1]

ELSE [End Date1]-[Start Date1]

ENDIF

BenMoss
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Hi! Brandon’s solution might work and I think with written syntax rather than the syntax you use it’s a bit easier to find where the problems are, however in your case I think you are missing a closing bracket at the end. You have too IIF statements and therefor you need to close both.

iif([Year]=1,DateTimeDiff([End Date1],[Start Date2],"days"),iif([Year]>1 AND [End Date1]>[End Date2],[End Date2]-[Start Date1],[End Date1]-[Start Date1]))

Further to this I don’t think Alteryx likes you just doing DATE-DATE and you should use the datetimediff function in all cases.

Ben

lindsayhupp
8 - Asteroid

Thanks for the responses!  I was able to get it to work!

Labels