Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Import two or three tabs within one excel file

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi Community, 

I would like to ask how we import certain tabs (two or maybe more) into excel file ?

Thank you.

7 REPLIES 7
Emil_Kos
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SH_94,

You can check this post: 

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/Combining-multiple-excels-into-one-wor...

If I understand you correctly you want to import all sheets from one excel file. If that is the case there is a workflow that should help you. 

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Hello @SH_94 ,

To import the information from multiple tabs from the same excel file using the dynamic input tool for example you need to be sure first if all sheets have the same structure (same name columns, same data type)

If the data is not the same or you cannot assure that it will be then we would need to take another approach.

Could you please tell me what it is in your case?

Regards

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @ afv2688,

I have three excels which meet both scenario: two excel file ( multiple tab with the same structure) and another one excel file (Multiple tab with different structure) .

Could you please advise me on both ?

Also, can i ask you whether i able to build the workflow the creating additional column which will follow the name of the tab in excel file (after importing the excel data)?

Jacob_94_0-1615293958110.png

pedrodrfaria
13 - Pulsar

Hi @SH_94 

Here is how you can open multiple tabs at once.

The macro attached will work for files that have the same schema as well as files that do not have the same schema. So works for both of your needs.

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @ pedrodrfaria,

In order to use this Macro, is it i need to save in the folder that contains the excel file that i want to import ?

Or we can save the marco anywhere we like? 

I noted that the macro cannot be used maybe due to different version of Alteryx. Can you save the workflow so that i can open it using the Alteryx 2019.13 ?

Jacob_94_0-1615295232768.png

mceleavey
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @SH_94 ,

I've built the workflow and included a couple of macros that allow you to do this easily.

This allows you to select the tabs you want, and will load in all sheets regardless of schema.

M

Bulien

SH_94
11 - Bolide

Hi @ mceleavey,

Thanks a lot for the workflow provided. Could you briefly explain on what are the areas i need to edit as i not so familiar on how to edit the macro.

Could you explain on the Dynamic multiple file sheet name?

Labels