Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

How to get Alteryx to continue the workflow for specific errors

aizel
5 - Atom

There are two situations I'd like to explore within Alteryx.

Is there a way to move a workflow past through the dynamic input tool when it is the incorrect "File Format?" I know Alteryx will throw an error saying "unable to open file for read." For example, I'd like the file format to be set as xlsx but the incoming file is a csv. But I'd like the workflow to proceed with the intention of outputting a value on a separate output file saying something along the lines of "error: not excel file."

The next situation is when there is a missing file within a folder. Let's say this is a macro and I am feeding in a path into an input or dynamic tool, but the file is missing. I'd also like the workflow to proceed, but this time with the intention of outputting a value saying "error: missing file."

2 REPLIES 2
Greg_Murray
12 - Quasar

Hi @aizel

I think something like this is what you are looking for. I am passing the file path to a simple batch macro that checks the extension. If the extension is xlsx, it brings in the data, if it's anything else, it outputs an error message.

Note: you will need to update the template file in the dynamic input inside the batch macro for your use case. 

workflow

Greg_Murray_1-1612885992934.png

Batch Macro

Greg_Murray_0-1612885883178.png

Hope this helps,

Greg

SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

I agree with @Greg_Murray  - there's no way to do this just with the input tools or with workflow config (i.e. no option exists within Alteryx to say "if my file is in the wrong format - then change the format and don't throw an error or terminate the workflow")

But much safer is to use a directory tool to look for the files - and then either use a macro or a dynamic input (macros are more flexible) to read the data.    

Labels