Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Formula Tool Question – Populating a column based on workflow data

AverySimecka
5 - Atom

Hello,

Hopefully this is an easy question. I am trying to populate a column within my workflow based on data from my input file. The column I need populated is called “Master Industry” and there are 2 criteria that determine which column of information (in my data set) is what needs to be populated.

Where the RFI Code (column E) is “F” then I need the “Shipper” (column F) to populate as the Master Industry (column D). (If I were doing this manually in excel, I would simply copy the content of column F into column D for that row.)

Where the RFI code is “R” I need the “Care Of” to populate as the Master Industry if there is a value within this field. If there is no value within the “Care Of” field then I need the “Consignee” (Column H) to populate as the Master Industry.

In my mind, there should be a way to do this within the formula tool, but I haven’t been able to determine the exact statement to get this to work.

Hopefully below communicates what I am thinking.

AverySimecka_0-1640022924920.png

Attached is my Alteryx workflow and my input data file. Below shows the Alteryx tools I am trying to utilize in this simple test. 

AverySimecka_1-1640023036873.png

Below shows my input data.

AverySimecka_0-1640029156500.png

Below shows my desired output.

AverySimecka_1-1640029174986.png

Thanks in advance! 

2 REPLIES 2
AngelosPachis
16 - Nebula

Hi @AverySimecka ,

If statements in Alteryx are formed as:

IF condition1 then statement 1
ELSEIF condition2 then statement2
ELSE statementN
ENDIF

In your occasion, I would try:

IF [RFI Code]="F" THEN [Shipper]
ELSEIF [RFI Code]="R" AND !ISEMPTY([Care Of]) THEN [Care Of]
ELSEIF ISEMPTY([Care Of]) THEN [Consignee]
ELSE NULL()
ENDIF

I would also add a select tool before your formula tool and change the data type for the column Master industry to a V_String as well.

Let me know if that works for you.

Cheers,

Angelos

AverySimecka
5 - Atom

Angelos - that worked! I appreciate your help. 

Labels