Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Error: Block Until Done (384): Block Until Done is not supported with Control Containers.

Nicolaas_Vercruyse
7 - Meteor

Dear all,

I have a workflow designed using multiple "Block until Done" tools.
Work fine but now I need to add a filter tool and only want the workflow to continue when not empty.

In line with the published example

Schermafbeelding 2024-04-25 120116.jpg

But I'm apparently not able to use it when having "block until done" tools in the workflow.

Is there any other work around to secure the workflow stops when empty after the filter?

In my case I have two output data tools, one connected to "T" and on to "F". Only the one with data after the filter tool should write. The other should not write.

Thanks in advance.

Nicolaas

8 REPLIES 8
alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Not sure I understand the question - the "Run if N" container will not run with this configuration because no records are passed into it! And yes if you are using control containers, you shouldn't need block until done tools anymore.

Nicolaas_Vercruyse
7 - Meteor

Thanks for your feedback.

And yes if you are using control containers, you shouldn't need block until done tools anymore.: Yes I know but I don't want to redo my workflow and change all the "block until done" tools currently in the workflow with control containers. Instead I want to keep the workflow as-is but include an action that secures that the workflow stops after a filter tool when the table is empty.

So in my case I have two output data tools, one connected to "T" and on to "F". Only the one with data after the filter tool should write. The other should not write.

626a2072-c668-478f-859c-5270dbc7eb97.jpg

So equal to what a control container could do, but without using it...

Nicolaas

ChrisTX
15 - Aurora

For this requirement:  Only the one with data after the filter tool should write. The other should not write.

Move each Output tool into separate Control Containers

For the Select tool connected to the Filter T anchor:  Connect the Select output anchor to the first Control Container input AND to the Output tool inside that container

For the Select tool connected to the Filter F anchor:  Connect the Select output anchor to the second Control Container input AND to the Output tool inside that container

Chris

Christina_H
14 - Magnetar

Could you generate the file name based on your data?  Then you could have a single output tool and ensure it writes to the correct location.

Nicolaas_Vercruyse
7 - Meteor

yes but when using the control containers the workflow runs in error as I also have "block until done" tools in the workflow for other purposes...

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@Nicolaas_Vercruyse then I would look at the Message tool to "error and stop passing records through this tool" when your record count is 0

Nicolaas_Vercruyse
7 - Meteor

@alexnajm is it possible to give an example on  how to populate the tool?

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

I can, but for your use case this might be a better option? Solved: How to not create output when no records - Alteryx Community

Labels