Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

Browse In-DB slowing down workflow, connected to Oracle

SarahBike
5 - Atom

Hi - I recently had to change my connections to our Oracle database, and I'm having some issues with workflows. A workflow that uses all In-DB tools will take less than a minute to run, but if I add a Browse In-DB tool it suddenly takes hours. I've also tried using the Sample In-DB tool to grab maybe 50 records and do a Data Stream Out tool, and that also takes forever. I can't figure out what to do to speed up the workflow while still being able to view a sample set of the data. Thanks.

6 REPLIES 6
apathetichell
18 - Pollux

enable logging at your odbc driver level and review the logs. It sounds like the issue is in how the results are going into memory (so probably a driver/tech tech issue vs an Alteryx issue - but just to be sure - turn off AMP).

SarahBike
5 - Atom

Thanks! Unfortunately I couldn't get the logging to work - no log would be saved that I could find. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

Not an Alteryx log - an odbc driver log. you have to enable that at the ODBC driver config in ODBC 64. You should be able to specify a location. 

SarahBike
5 - Atom

Thank you! I think I realized the problem - the table I'm pulling is enormous, and it's year-end for us so lots of people writing queries. A colleague helped me identify some filters to shrink my query down a bit before exporting or using the browse tool. 

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello @SarahBike  Some things to think about :
-fine tuning your oracle driver
-separate your data stream out and your workflow
-if your DSO is here to get an idea of the final table, be sure to plug it after the write in db, not making a Y.

Best regards,

Simon

SarahBike
5 - Atom

Thank you!!!

Labels