Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.

AMP Engine & Block Until Done Tool Behavior

MRAgamir
5 - Atom

This is more of a note, but I believe that when running workflows in the designer mode with the AMP engine enabled, the traditional behavior of multiple Block Until Done tools is not handled 'as expected'.

I have a workflow that is outputting different data streams to three separate tabs within an Excel workbook. As always, I was using multiple Block Until Done tools to prevent write collisions to the same file, but I kept receiving the error associated with that. I noticed that the Block Until Done tools were functioning individually, but not as they normally do in a 'group' (i.e. higher tool # waits until the previous is complete). When I disabled the AMP Engine for the workflow, the execution happened as normal and desired -- so I am very confident that the AMP Engine was the driver of the issue that I was seeing.

I am not sure if this falls into the bug or feature category of the AMP Engine, but I didn't see documentation on it yet, so I figured I would make a post just in case someone is running into the issue as well.

Respectfully,

Mike

20 REPLIES 20
RyanWade
6 - Meteoroid

Following up with the BLOCK UNTIL DONE tool

Where I work and use AMP, that solution of turning AMP off was the way it was resolved for my colleagues with a 2022 version (not sure exact)

However, I currently use Alteryx Designer 2023.2.1.51 - Patch: 1 - and I have been able to solve all of my Block Until Done issues by turning on both of the Configuration - Runtime options:

1. Use AMP Engine

2. Engine compatibility mode

amp on.PNG

When turned on, the multi-threaded process does speed up my workflows in a notable way.  With this off, I would expect it to process slower but not detrimental unless you have a large amount of data.  

Labels