Alter.Nation

Community news, customer stories, and more!
SubratDas5
10 - Fireball

The Story

I am a data professional from India with over 14 years of experience. Throughout my career, I have had the opportunity to work with various companies and domains, exploring multiple tools along the way. It was in 2016 when a colleague recommended Alteryx to me, praising its capabilities. Little did I know that this recommendation would mark the beginning of an extraordinary adventure.

As someone with minimal coding knowledge, Alteryx's intuitive nature instantly captivated me. I realized that even with my background, I could perform tasks like building regression models and testing hypotheses. This newfound ability opened doors for me to pitch projects to potential customers and ultimately deliver a successful outcome. Six months into this journey, I was considered the go-to person in the company of around 300 consultants for anything Alteryx, and it was truly fulfilling.

One thing I have come to appreciate deeply is the power of giving back to the community. When we share our expertise and support others in their learning journeys, it creates a cycle of continuous growth. As an expert, interacting with newcomers can challenge our perspectives and inspire us to dive deeper into our knowledge. It pushes us to find better ways to explain concepts and enables us to learn from fresh perspectives. Alteryx became the vehicle through which I could give back and help others implement solutions for their own problems.

SFG_1.jpegFrom a Bangalore User Group Meeting

The Impact

As someone who has benefited from the value of education, I believe in the importance of giving back. When I came across the Alteryx for Good initiative, I knew it was an opportunity to make a meaningful impact. Together with a passionate group of individuals, we launched Alteryx for Good India in 2018. Our aim was to collaborate with charities and leverage Alteryx to solve critical problems.

IMG-20180609-WA0010.jpg

Alteryx for Good volunteers

One of the charities we partnered with was a school on the outskirts of Bangalore. We began by automating their donation receipt process, streamlining their operations, and saving valuable time. This success prompted the charity to seek further assistance, leading us to help with tasks such as creating question banks for teachers, designing customized student ID cards, and even setting up a digital classroom. We have solved around 6 to 7 use cases with Alteryx. These initiatives brought joy to the children, too— they loved and took pride in the custom student ID cards, which displayed the “house” they were in like you would see at a private school.

Our engagement with the charity school extended beyond automation. We organized visits to the school, spending time with the students, playing cricket, and fostering a sense of joy and enthusiasm for learning.

IMG-20180623-WA0004.jpg

A school visit 

In addition to our work with charities, we focused on nurturing the Alteryx community in India. We organized user group meetings where Alteryx users could connect, learn, and have fun. These gatherings took place in various settings, including pubs, schools, and even the Alteryx office in Bangalore. We strived to make each meeting enjoyable and enriching, ensuring that attendees could learn from one another and have fun while doing so.

The India User Group has given me the opportunity to meet a lot of people who have come up with interesting Alteryx use cases, as well as connect Community top contributors to our group to share best practices and provide inspiration.

IMG-20190629-WA0021.jpg

So that's been my overall Alteryx journey, and I know for sure that there is still more that I can do as an individual or as the India Alteryx user group or the Alteryx for Good India chapter. And I hope to continue moving forward!

Want to get involved with Alteryx for Good? Check out their new page on Community for the latest opportunities to make a difference.

Comments