Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #419: Cost Analysis of Easter Baskets

AGilbert
9 - Comet

UPDATE:

I've created a Topic in the Designer Desktop here with a simple example. Please divert replies to that location. 

Original:

The initial merge of tables is fairly standard, but the second half of the workflow supports dynamic calculation/reporting. My goal was to handle future data and reports for additional years. If you have feedback, I'm all ears (actually eyes).

The goal has been to keep the reporting metrics but advanced by one when a new year is added to the data. And to avoid manual renames and select/deselect of fields. 

Question: I haven't yet figured out how to dynamically update the fields for the first check. Ideally, I'd want to drop "2021 to 2022" in addition to appending "2023 to 2024" when adding new data to the input. For reference, I've added a "*_test.yxmd" file where 2024 data is included.

Instead of an upstream sort/sample I've tried to implement the following two expressions in dynamic select/replace tools but am in new territory. Any ideas? 

1. contains([_CurrentField_], "most recent year')) 

2. [FieldNumber] IN range(n, n-1) where n is the count of fields (this is to dynamically get the last two columns) 

Thanks in advance! That was a fun one. 

-AG

- initial join

Spoiler
initial join.png

-dynamic workflow

Spoiler
dynamic reporting.png

jeprime
7 - Meteor

I also had to adjust my workflow because of this. The rounding must wait until the reporting happens.

Macostonis
6 - Meteoroid

Got it!

Powerhouse_21
9 - Comet
Spoiler
419.png

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

AG - Saw your post and decided to turn around and tweak my reply to make it 'dynamic solution' which can be used as is going forward. 

This changes dynamically changes the most recent to 'current' and current -1 to 'prior'  current -2 for 'previous prior' (I know, original) , then does the calcs off the current & prior for 'next'. 

Can add additional tweaks, but this does effectively accomplishes the goal.  One of the drawbacks is losing the actual year(s). I did have a version where I left 2021 alone, but that would require an intervention for what I now label as 'previous prior'.   

See attached. 

Spoiler
MT_Dynamic _Solution_419.jpg

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

@AYXAcademy 
I almost forgot I have submitted this one since it is 1.5 years ago.
Glad to see it is now published. 😁

gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

You are a frequent contributor, @Qiu !

Spoiler
Could not match exactly for task 2.
image.png
Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Taking this one step further for AG, 

I added in a couple more tools simply to capture the naming convention of having the years included for the header names.  See added yellow tools. 

Spoiler
MT_Dynamic_Rename _Solution_419.jpg
julian_garcia_quevedo
6 - Meteoroid

My solution here

DaisukeTsuchiya
13 - Pulsar
Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2024-03-26 201929.png