Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #415: Efficient Resource Distribution Using Macros

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

@AYXAcademynever mind!

Here's my take on this topic.

Without macros and without any issues on supply/demand

Spoiler
if you ask for the most, you will get the least.... with that principle I added priorities for regions and periods. for resources I did it the other way around because high priority resources are in high demandif you ask for the most, you will get the least.... with that principle I added priorities for regions and periods. for resources I did it the other way around because high priority resources are in high demandafter crossjoining all resources with all region/period data, I filtered and sampled to keep only one resource*period row.... Apparently all needs can be metafter crossjoining all resources with all region/period data, I filtered and sampled to keep only one resource*period row.... Apparently all needs can be met

I even built a super ugly dashboard to check whether this result is correct, and it seems to be:

Spoiler

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

dashboard image cannot be uploaded somhow, let's retry

Spoiler
ugly but is shows resource priority and resources + the regions where they can be allocatedugly but is shows resource priority and resources + the regions where they can be allocated
alacoume
8 - Asteroid

A solution without macro:

balajilolla2
8 - Asteroid

Spoiler
Solution Attached

Screenshot 2024-02-28 074453.jpg

AUX
5 - Atom

There is no mentioning in the challenge about the optimization needs for the resources.

Spoiler

Based on the provided output, it looks like the resources are assigned period by period to meet resources needed. So it should be straightforward to use Resources column and ResourcesNeeded column to get the assignment for each period.

Screenshot 2024-02-28 121645.png

kelvin_law1
9 - Comet

Here is my solution using Batch Macro:

Spoiler
415Workflow.png
415Macro.png

olga_strubbe
10 - Fireball

A neat challenge, thank you, @DataNath  and @Luke_C!  It gave me a hand at batch macros with the pieces finally starting to come together :)

I would like to give a credit to @AkimasaKajitani  as being my inspiration in solving this challenge.  Thank you, @AkimasaKajitani  - I liked the fact that you've created a Row Position field to align the number of resources needed for each region with Row Position - this made it an easier way to solve it for me. 

Workflow: 

2024-02-29_10-33-10.png

Batch Macro: 

macro.png

ksukhraj
6 - Meteoroid

This is very well structured and easy to understand. Thanks for sharing.

RashedDS
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
415.JPG

ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

An iterative approach to building the iterative macro because it took a few times to get all the logic.  Once everyone was matched, I then checked against the original data to find out if all were assigned.

Spoiler
415a.png415b.png