Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #409: Catch or Drop? Predicting Business Outcomes with Randomness

alacoume
8 - Asteroid

My solution:

ahsanaali
11 - Bolide
Spoiler
409.png

tammybrown_tds
8 - Asteroid

@RWvanLeeuwen

A "drop" means the receiver didn't catch the ball....so a dead ball.  A "catch" means the receiver caught the ball and made a play....usually yardage gained, which could be a touchdown or just yards across the field.  If the opponent catches the ball, then it's called an interception.

Hope that helps!

Chris-Nienart
7 - Meteor

Adding a noise factor to thresholding outcomes can reduce overfitting in classification problems.

However, I couldn't figure out what was the intended implementation of the multiplier. The way I applied it, only the sign and not the magnitude of the multiplier made an impact on the catch/no catch indicator. I'm curious to see how people interpreted the formula from the article.

Task 1: Optimization can depend on the use case, but I thought it was a good idea to combine the 3d6 and scenario generation.

Spoiler
Sort on rand_val and pick the minimum value record by die and scenario. No iterative macro needed!
Fourth input is a scenario count for the row generation.Fourth input is a scenario count for the row generation.
tammybrown_tds
8 - Asteroid

The instructions were a bit confusing, but I think I got there in the end.  The answer to the "Highest Rated Team using player stats" stings a little bit given how my Packers were eliminated from the playoffs Saturday night, but I'll get over it.  LOL!

Spoiler
Screenshot 2024-01-22 124124.jpg
TonyAndriani
9 - Comet

My solution.

Spoiler
Considering that this challenge required substantial knowledge of football and sports video games and I probably know less about either than I know about quantum physics, I was sorely tempted to take a pass on this one (no pun intended). I am somewhat surprised, considering the broad international nature of the Alteryx community that American football is used as the example. Anyway, I took my best shot. I have no idea what 90% of the parameters meant, so I just stuck with "overall" for my calculations.
In the future, please try to avoid challenges that require specialized knowledge unless the relevant information can be included in the instructions...
ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Had fun building out the initial logic - then built into a macro to run multiple simulations.

Spoiler
409b.png409c.png409a.png
ARussell34
8 - Asteroid

The flow takes in account of random 3 die rolls which will create a different team output every time (as it should). It took me a second to comprehend how the modifier effects the outcome, but after a quick review understood the negative vs positive values represented a drop or catch. This was a fun one!

AR_409.png

alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@AYXAcademy  I think this challenge needed a lot more description - the solution provided didn't detail any of this "match up position" nor how to apply the multiplier. Just some feedback because otherwise this was a fun challenge!

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar

Spoiler
MT_Solution_409.jpg