Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #407: Single Biggest Lottery Winner

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Maveryx_WC_Banner.png

Hi Maveryx team, Happy New Year!

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found here.

lotto-lottery-ticket-bill-profit-preview.jpgI hope you all had a wonderful holiday season. Are you ready to dive into a new year of weekly challenges? In December, we tackled some complex spatial problems, macros, and advanced tools. To start the year, we will go a little bit easier on you. Who is up for feeling like a lottery winner?

You have a dataset that provides details of the winners of a lottery from November 3, 1996, to October 27, 2018. In this lottery, players select 6 numbers, and the objective is to match all 6 numbers to win.

Your tasks:

1. During this period, how many times was there just one winner (matched 6 out of 6 numbers) who claimed the entire accumulated jackpot?
  2. Identify the date and the highest jackpot amount ever won by a single winner who matched 6 out of 6 numbers.

Hint: The dataset is from a lottery in Brazil, and the numeric punctuation is different from what is used in the United States. Portuguese uses a period to separate thousands (for example, 2.367.900 = 2,367,900) and it uses a comma to mark the decimal place (for example, 1,5 = 1.5). Be sure to convert the winning amount for a US-based audience.

Good luck, Maveryx!

Source: Adapted and translated from https://www.kaggle.com/code/lidialucena/mega-sena.

alacoume
8 - Asteroid

My solution:

Spoiler
Challenge_407.jpg
alexnajm
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

@AYXAcademy I would upload the .yxzp to make it easier for everyone, plus for consistency!

Otherwise perfectly fine challenge once the prompt was understood 😊

Spoiler
Challenge 407.png
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
407.jpg
ggruccio
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

Fun way to start the year!

Spoiler
If I understood the first question (or data) then I get to 364 times.  Then finding the highest is simply a matter of Sort and Sample tools.

407.png
ARussell34
8 - Asteroid

Great first challenge of the new year!

AR_407.png

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Solution attached.

Spoiler
image.png
Kenda