Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #391: Which Combinations of Pokémon Types Do Not Exist?

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

MicrosoftTeams-image.png

Hello, my fellow solvers,

A solution to last week’s challenge can be found here. 

It's October, which means another fresh month to dive into the world of learning and problem-solving with Alteryx!

This month is special because we are running a series of four challenges that we selected from a list we've received as a part of our Weekly Challenge User Group October Takeover event. For our first challenge, we chose one received from @gawa, a member of the Tokyo User Group. Thanks, Ippei Nakagawa, for this fantastic contribution!

Most of you are likely familiar with Pokémon, or at the very least, you have come across Pikachu's iconic yellow face at some point! Pokémon are characterized by their unique attributes and moves, grouped in 18 distinct variations known as types. Each Pokémon can be associated with either one or two types. For example, Charmander embodies a singular Type (Fire), whereas Bulbasaur boasts a dual type (Grass and Poison). pokemon-Image.png

For this challenge, you have a comprehensive dataset that contains Pokémon details, including their names, primary type (Type 1), secondary type (Type 2), and additional traits such as speed, generation, and more. Your task is to analyze the types of Pokémon combinations, Type 1 and Type 2, and determine which combinations do not exist in this dataset. For instance, there are no Pokémon in the dataset that have a combination of the Bug and Dark types.

Note: Your output must only include unique combinations, so Type 1: Grass and Type 2: Poison is the same as Type 1: Poison and Type 2: Grass.

Source: https://gist.github.com/armgilles/194bcff35001e7eb53a2a8b441e8b2c6#file-pokemon-csv 

PhilipMannering
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

Solution attached.

Spoiler
38 combinations
image.png

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Fun challenge! @gawa -san,

My solution!!

Designer Desktop

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2023-10-03 001000.png

Designer Cloud(Designer Experience)

The workflow is almost the same as using Designer desktop. 

Spoiler
The specifications of Max, Min function are different from Designer Desktop. The difference is how to handle the null.

スクリーンショット 2023-10-03 002646.png

mmontgomery
11 - Bolide

Took longer than I wanted, just went simpler/more methodical.

Spoiler
Workflow_391.png
ed_hayter
12 - Quasar

Probably not the most efficient approach

Spoiler
transposed each record and then sorted alphabetically before crosstabbing using a position ID - in order to ensure that grass poison, poison grass was not counted double.

Did the same thing to a table of all possible combinations. Joined and took the unmatched records (i.e. the combos that don't exist) then joined to the output to check the validity of my outcome.

image.png
ahsanaali
11 - Bolide

See solution attached.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2023-10-02 195833.png
RolandSchubert
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula
Spoiler
391.jpg
PhilipMannering