Weekly Challenges

Solve the challenge, share your solution and summit the ranks of our Community!

Also available in | Français | Português | Español | 日本語
IDEAS WANTED

Want to get involved? We're always looking for ideas and content for Weekly Challenges.

SUBMIT YOUR IDEA

Challenge #247: Pairing Partners

JasonHu
8 - Asteroid

Here is my submission, solve it with an iterative macro.

Spoiler
macro.pngworkflow.png
danilang
19 - Altair
19 - Altair

Fun one

Non-macro implementation of Schurig's table method.  Works for even and odd numbers of competitors.  For odd number of competitors consider pairing 1 of every week to be a by.

Spoiler
danilang_0-1633271869584.png

Dan

Luke_C
17 - Castor
Spoiler
Luke_C_0-1636381241816.png

Sebastiaandb
12 - Quasar

**bleep**, this was a hard one for me!

Spoiler
Sebastiaandb_0-1637672484713.png

Sebastiaandb_1-1637672511144.png

Thank god for iterative macro's 

estherb47
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Found this site helpful as well. https://www.khanacademy.org/computing/computer-science/cryptography/modarithmetic/a/what-is-modular-...

Went a non-macro route that works with any even number of participants

Watermark
12 - Quasar
12 - Quasar
Spoiler
MT Solution 247.png

Spoiler
MT Solution 247 macro.png

LiuZhang
9 - Comet
Spoiler
Macro 1 - create pairingMacro 1 - create pairingMacro 2 - Update Meeting Count and generate weekly pairingMacro 2 - Update Meeting Count and generate weekly pairingMacro 2 - Generate weekly pairingMacro 2 - Generate weekly pairingResultResultWorkflowWorkflow

Went for the idea of creating a Meeting Counter, so each time a pair met, the counter goes up by one. Every week planning for meeting, we start with the pairing with lowest counter (i.e. met least amount of time).

N.B. due to the initial alphabetical sorting of name, the bottom pair was forced to meet until the top combination run out, (some random sorting could solve this issue). Though in the long run, it should even out.

Shifty
12 - Quasar

Several attempts later...

Spoiler
Shifty_1-1648218975444.png

🤔

SylwiaDragon
8 - Asteroid

Done

scoles0617
8 - Asteroid

My solution: