Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Location Data Knowledge Base

Data methodologies, and Release schedules.

Renaming Allocate Variables

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

AllocateRename.pngHave you ever used the Allocate tools and received back some strange looking variable names? You're not alone! The Allocate Rename Fields Macro will allow you to rename your fields into readable variables.

INSTALLING THE TOOL

1. Right-click here and choose Save Link As.
  2. This downloads a self-extracting .exe file. Extract this file into the location of your choice.
  3. Navigate to that location and run DataInstall.exe.
  4. Follow the prompts in the installer:

image.pngimage.png

USING THE TOOL

The Allocate tools allow users to enrich their workflows with third party data provided from Experian and the US Census. This data contains demographic and household information by geography. Allocate tools can be found under the “Demographic Analysis” tab in the Alteryx toolbar; they include the Allocate Input, Allocate Append, Allocate Report, and Allocate Metainfo.

Allocate Input and Allocate Append tools allow users to select variables to display by geography. Once configured, the fields returned look something like this:

Pre-format.png

Add the Allocate Rename macro after the Allocate Input/Append. In the Configuration window, select the Dataset that you are pulling from. Press Run for the magic!

macro.png

Voila! Your field names are now human-readable.

post-format.png

ADDITIONAL RESOURCES

Comments
DataGrrl
7 - Meteor

Does this work if you are using the Data Bundles installed from a network location? I consitantly get that no allocate data sets available, even though I am using this after an allocate input.

SophiaF
Alteryx
Alteryx

@DataGrrl do you have the same issue when trying to use the Allocate Metainfo tool? Are you able to select a dataset in the Allocate Rename tool, or is the list blank?

LonnieY
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

This should work regardless where the data is installed. Is the connection to the network location stable? If not, Allocate datasets may not be seen.

Is Alteryx set to Disable Auto Configure?  If so, the Allocate tools may need refreshing to see available datasets.

DataGrrl
7 - Meteor

I can see the Allocate datasets fine in the Allocate Input Tool and Allocate Metainfo, but the Macro has "--No Allocate Datasets Available"

megov31
7 - Meteor

I've downloaded the Allocate Rename macro but can't see it in the list of tools in Alteryx designer still. How can I access it in the workflow?

Thanks

megov31
7 - Meteor

Nevermind, I figured it out! Thanks.

idaho8007
7 - Meteor

I've downloaded the Allocate Rename macro but can't see it in the list of tools in Alteryx designer still. How can I use it?

Thanks a lot!

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I think the link in article points to an obsolete version of the download instructions.  Try this link insteadClick the sentence, not the button.Click the sentence, not the button. the  If you have 7-zip installed and set as default for .7z files, it should auto-extract.

Anuj
8 - Asteroid

the updated link to download the macro. not sure why its not part of the cass install.