Right now, the power to solve new global challenges across industries, is at your fingertips, no matter where you're working from. Create a new topic or reply to an existing thread to share your perspective.

Industry Discussions

Share resources, connect with others, and discuss industry-specific challenges.

Alteryx in Accounting and Data Analytics

michellehoang20
5 - Atom

Hello,

My name is Michelle Hoang and I'm currently a student at California State University Fullerton. Learning Alteryx has been eye-opening to me as to how technology has improved the workplace and I've enjoyed it a lot. I was interested in how Alteryx is used in the Accounting and/or Data Analytics Industry and how often it is used in day-to-day operations. Will it be beneficial to be proficient in Alteryx if I want to be a good candidate for recruiting? For those that have Alteryx certification, did it help you with recruiting?

8 REPLIES 8
AdwaitTarudkar
8 - Asteroid

Hi @michellehoang20 

Alteryx can be used in multiple domains and in various capacities and usage can vary from company to company whether the application is in Accounting, Consulting, Education, the Sports sector, etc. 

Will it be beneficial to be proficient in Alteryx if I want to be a good candidate for recruiting? 

Generally Yes.

gautiergodard
13 - Pulsar

Great tool! I'd recommend exploring some of the usecases where Alteryx is solving problems in various industries.

Alteryx Solutions by Industry | Alteryx

AbhilashR
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Hi @michellehoang20, I would definitely recommend being Alteryx Core certified at the very least if Accounting + Analytics is the space you want to explore. I have had the fortune of witnessing the transformation Alteryx brings about in the world of Finance & Accounting and can confidently say it is here to stay. Organizations at the moment seem to be struggling to find individuals who have experience (or maybe education) in accounting + Alteryx.

mmccanse
6 - Meteoroid

@michellehoang20 - I am an accountant, worked for an accounting firm for 3 years, then moved to industry. Am now an accounting manager at a tech company.  In my experience, accounting teams tend to have a lot of manual processes heavily reliant on Excel, and there is a perpetual effort to streamline, make things more efficient, make things easier.  So, yes, Alteryx is a terrific skill to bring to the table.  A challenge I have experienced is that you need to find a workplace that has the budget/resources to commit to using Alteryx, and who will prioritize training and learning time for team members.  It also helps to find a team/workplace that embraces change and improvement, and has capacity to make changes. I've been in multiple situations where everyone agrees a better, more efficient way is needed, but no one has the time/capacity to build or learn a different way, and the ongoing pressure of month end closes and quarterly filing dates makes it very hard for people to carve out time to try something different. Not saying that to be discouraging, but to encourage you in your future job searches to also ask questions to help you gauge if a workplace would embrace your Alteryx skills and give you the opportunity to use them.

Mincridible
6 - Meteoroid

Great information

Hammad_Rashid
11 - Bolide

How Alteryx is used in the Accounting and/or Data Analytics Industry and how often it is used in day-to-day operations.

Alteryx is mostly used in (Extract Transform Load) ETL work. How often ? Almost daily.

Will it be beneficial to be proficient in Alteryx if I want to be a good candidate for recruiting? For those that have Alteryx certification, did it help you with recruiting?

Absolutely. Start with Micro-credentials and then target for Designer Core certification.

yaolichen
5 - Atom

To my understanding, Alteryx is a data processing tool. You need to have strong business background in order to discover the scenarios where Alteryx can be used. As for accounting and financial area, BI tools such as PowerBI, Data analytics tool such as Alteryx, Process automation tool such as RPA all popular skills and demand strong business knowledge. So business knowledge is a MUST before learning these tools.

dmccarville
7 - Meteor

Fantastic question. I'm in audit analytics. We use Alteryx (and other analytical tools/procedures) frequently. Automation technologies are currently a big movement in the accounting world. Many (perhaps most) accounting procedures are currently highly manual, but can easily be automated with Alteryx. If you are in the accounting space, I definitely recommend it. It's not a core accounting skill, but it will add a lot to your resume.

The analytics space is really big. *Some* analytics teams will highly use Alteryx. Some will never consider it. Knowing a tool is never a weakness, but don't rely on knowing how to use a piece of software. Focus on knowing key analytical concepts (probability theory, various algorithms, data structures, etc.).