Welcome to the new SparkED Group Hub. Before you get started, check out our new program overview video

General Knowledge

Education Licenses, FAQs, License Support, Learning Resources Guide, Teaching and Learning Tools, Certification Preparation, Certification Exams

SparkED: Education License Activation FAQ

SparkED_Team
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Alteryx Designer Activation and Installation for Education Purposes 

Q:  How do I get started?

• Look for a confirmation email from 'no-reply@alteryx.com' (check spam too), and copy your unique license key inside the email.
  • If you have not received this email in 1-2 days from your online license request submission, quickly email fulfillment@alteryx.com to ask them to resend it.

Q:  Where do I download Alteryx Designer? 

A: Alteryx Designer can be downloaded from the Licensing Portal at  my.alteryx.com/licensing. Before you can download, you will need to create an SSO (single sign-on) account. 

• If you already have an SSO username and password (same as your Alteryx Community login), LOG IN HERE. Please make sure your profile email address matches the one used in the confirmation email that contained your unique license key. To request an email change to match your profile, please contact community@alteryx.com.
  • If you need to create your first SSO, click ‘Register Here’ on the page above and proceed with the steps. Be sure to use the exact same email address you used to request a Designer license.

Q:  I have a Mac – how would I install Alteryx Designer? 

A: There are two ways to install Alteryx on a Mac: 

1. Machine

64-bit only; 32-bit is not supported

OS

Microsoft Windows Server 2008 R2 or later

Chip

Dual core (single chip)

Processor

2.5 GHz or faster

RAM

8 GB

Disk Size

100 GB

   

Note that any of the above solutions require a Windows license for the Mac. Read  this article  to see the pros and cons of the different approaches, as well as detailed installation instructions.  

Q:  Do I have to be an Alteryx user to create an account in the Licensing Portal? 

A: No, you do not have to be an Alteryx user to create an account at  my.alteryx.com/licensing. However, you will need a license key to create a login and access the download. 

Q: How do I activate my SparkED license key? 

A: License keys are sent by email when the license is finalized by the SparkED team. You can activate your SparkED license key by opening Alteryx Designer on your computer and selecting Options > Manage Licenses > Activate New License. From here, you will need to enter your license key and select Activate. 

This article  provides an overview of Alteryx licensing, including our prerequisites for installing and licensing Alteryx, an overview of different ways to activate, links to helpful guides, and how to best administrate your keys once activated. 

License Activation Overview: provides more detail on different options for activating Alteryx licenses. 

If you run into any issues during the activation, you can reach out to the Fulfillment team at  fulfillment@alteryx.com to assist. 

Q:  What is the difference between the Admin and Non-admin version of Designer? Which one should I download? 

A: The Admin version of Designer will save files and information at the machine level. The Non-Admin version will save files and information at the user level. If you are an administrator on your machine and you have the correct permissions to save to your entire machine, you should download the Admin version. If you are not an administrator on your machine or if you have restricted permissions, you should download the Non-admin version. 

Q: Will my Alteryx license expire? 

A: Yes, SparkED Alteryx Designer licenses for Educators and Academic Students are issued in 1-year increments. Independent Learners (career changers) have licenses issued in 90-day increments. You can check the expiration date of your license by opening Alteryx Designer and selecting Options > Manage Licenses. Educators and Academic Students can renew for another year if they continue to use the software exclusively for teaching or learning in an academic environment. Independent Learners who earn their Alteryx Core certification during their first license period can renew it for another 90 days.

Q: How do I access the Predictive Tools? 

A: Licenses for SparkED students, educators, and independent learners all provide access to the Predictive Tools (the Data Investigation, Predictive, AB Testing, Time Series, Predictive Grouping, and Prescriptive tool palettes). Once Designer is downloaded, installed, and the license key is activated, you can install the Predictive Tools. You must match the admin level (Admin vs. Non-Admin) and version of your current Designer installation. You can identify your Designer admin level and version by choosing Help > About from the ribbon in your current version of Designer. To access the download, go to the licensing page, select Alteryx Designer, and choose the appropriate version number.  From that window, select the executable for the Alteryx Predictive Tools with the appropriate admin level. 

Q: How do I create an Alteryx Community account? 

A: If you do not yet have an Alteryx Community account, you can create one via our SSO system. Log in with the email address you used to activate your Alteryx Designer license. Once signed in, click on the Community icon on the top of the page in order to set up your Community account.  Be sure to pick the appropriate role for your account. 

HELPFUL LINKS 

License Activation 

Getting Started on the Alteryx Community 

If you are having any other issues activating your license, please email us at  sparked@alteryx.com.