General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.
SOLVED

help with RegEx tool

s_das
7 - Meteor

I am trying to separate extension numbers from the Phone No column. Attached are my input and desired output. What would be the regular expression to do this? 

Thank you for your help in advance.

7 REPLIES 7
binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@s_das One way of doing this

image.png

s_das
7 - Meteor

Thanks so much. 

s_das
7 - Meteor

when extension number is more than 2 digits, how to change the formula in that case? Thanks

binuacs
20 - Arcturus

@s_das it should work for any length of the extension number, make sure there is a space just before the extension number

s_das
7 - Meteor

Wanted to remove all kinds of special character from multiple fields at a time. I have done it by each field with a filter tool using "if [contains (field1),"*")]". How can I optimize 8 filter tools with regex tool and multi-field formula tool. Should I create a text file with all possible special characters and join? Thank you for your help. 

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

Are you removing special characters from a string or removing rows that have strings with special characters in them? I'm not sure how the filter tool is helping you. For each case:

1.a) Remove special characters from a string: You can use Multi-Field Formula Tool with Regex_Replace([_CurrentField_] ,'[^a-zA-z0-9]','')

1.b) Depending on what you mean by special characters, you can use the Data Cleansing Tool as well and check "Punctuation" under "Remove Unwanted Characters"

2. Transpose Tool to get all columns of interest into the same Value column, then you can use Formula Tool to check for special characters, Summarize to find which rows should be filtered and Cross Tab to get back original data.

Hopefully this provides a general framework. More specifics will help to tailor help for your specific use-case.

s_das
7 - Meteor

Thanks so much. It helps me a lot to tackle unwanted characters from my variables. Appreciate. 

Labels