General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Need help exporting as package

cnf40992
5 - Atom

I have three workflows and I need them all in the same package. When I use Options>Export Workflow it only saves one of the workflows in the package instead of all three.

In other words, I need one file that holds all three workflows. Please help.

2 REPLIES 2
jennifer_owens
8 - Asteroid

If I am understanding this correctly, you have three separate workflows on three separate tabs/canvases but you want them in one workflow/canvas. Can you not just copy two of the three and paste them into the same canvas? Maybe put them in containers but there is no reason you cannot have multiple inputs/outputs on the same workflow and then they would all remain together. 

ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

Hi @cnf40992 

This is a very interesting question, it was a joy working out a potential solution.

Challenge:

• We have 3 workflows that we want to package together.

Export-M-WF-01.png

• These workflows are in a folder, and each one reference a Test#.yxdb file

Export-M-WF-02.png

Enable Alteryx Designer Asset Management:

Attaching objects to your workflow:

• We will attach object to one of our test workflows, let's say the first one: WF-A
  • Click the Input Data tool on the workflow, then Click on the Asset icon as shown in the picture below:

Export-M-WF-03.png

• Now Click on the Add Files(s) button, and select the files you want to add to this workflow.
  • Save the workflow.

Grouping the Workflows

• You did not ask for this, but it is nice to group the Workflows we are packaing.
  • Having the workflows we want to group open (and only the workflows we want to group), Click File -> Create Wprkflow Group
  • Please type a name for the Workflows Group, I used: WF-Test-Group.yxwg

If we open the group, it automatically open all the workflows (open on the designer at the time of creating the group).

Export-M-WF-06.png

• Let's add the Workflows Group we just created to the assets we defined to the WF-A, its assets should look like the picture below:

Export-M-WF-07.png

• Save the workflow (WF-A) so all its assets are properly written to disk:

Let's export the workflow: WF-A:

• Options -> Export Workflow
  • The name for the Workflows group was: WF-A.yxzp
  • Copy this file: WF-A.yxzp to a test, temporary folder, we want to verify how this thing works.
  • Close all the workflows open in your canvas, e.g. WF-A, WF-B and WF-C

Test the package WF-A.yxzp

• File --> Open Workflow
  • Navigate to the folder you copied WF-A.yxzp
  • Follow the prompts.
  • It will open just WF-A 🙁
  • Close WF-A
  • Now do: File --> Open Workflow Group, navigate to the folder created when unpacking WF-A.yxzp and select WF-Test-Group.yxwg
  • It will open WF-A, WF-B and WF-C

Warning:

• The package WF-A.yxzp contains a version of the workflows at the time we package them.
  • Any change after packaging will not be in the package.
  • I am not sure if it will be a problem for the group file, I don't think it will be.
  • Note: WF-A.yxsp does not include the files Test2.yxdb and Test3.yxdb

Hope this helps,

Arnaldo

PS: If this is the solution to your question, please flag this reply and the correct answer.

Labels