General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

AlteryX Uniqueness

kaleasantoyo
5 - Atom

What makes AlteryX standout when it comes to visuals and displaying information in comparison to other platforms such as power query and python?

3 REPLIES 3
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @kaleasantoyo In my opinion, 

Pros

1) The process of data manipulation is visible and readable to anybody who are not familiar with coding. Please imagine how much effort is needed to crack the codes somebody wrote in Power Query and Python. And what happens if that creator leaves your company?

2) When the input datasets have complicated structure and need a lot of data cleansing, Alteryx is more capable of doing so than other platforms are. 

Cons

1) In terms of the variety of the available charts, Power Query(Power BI in this context) and Python have much variety of charts than Alteryx Designer Desktop. Please note that Alteryx is capable of loading data to Tableau, Power BI, so in terms of being used for data pipe to load data to Visualization platform, Alteryx is still competitive to other platforms.  

2) Introducing Alteryx would additionally cost, while Power Query and Python are mostly ready to use in the typical organization. 

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hmm I would say you'll need to be comparing apple to apple since Alteryx is not directly comparable to Power Query / Python in itself. 

In terms of processing ETL, I would say that Alteryx stands out as THE citizen data scientist/analyst/professional tool that enables teams to build their own data flows without needing external support. It's the swiss knife of analytics and automation I would say.

Whereas Power Query is more in tune with the Power Platform environment, and every suit item related comes at the core of your organization's setup with Microsoft. The ease of building, shipping, and using Alteryx is much better from a UI/UX perspective, and the knowledge required isn't too deep. But cost may be prohibitive for small companies or individual professional builders. 

Python in itself is great as well! But the barrier to code is still high for many non-techies. I found it hard to scale, and even with automation scheduling, it was hard to get by without IT support. You can of course use Python in Alteryx as well - and package it to the Server for automation purposes as well.

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

Hi @kaleasantoyo ,

If you are good at coding, you may complete your visualization job with your favorite language.
But let's focus on "no-code/low-code" market here.

BI products (such as Power BI, Tableau) are great in creating visuals, but not specialized in data prep part (though they have ETL tools).
Alteryx is great in data prep, but not specialized in visualization part (though it has reporting tools).

So we can use BI product for visualization and use Alteryx for data prep, 

cherry picking the best of both worlds, as they are not in "Either/Or" relationship.

Labels