General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2023 Day 7 (BaseA Style)

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Discussion thread for day 7 of the Advent of Code - https://adventofcode.com/2023/day/7

39 REPLIES 39
gawa
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

Tool golf version: total 13 tools

Spoiler

image.png
Calculate the type by Regex, and convert data into Hexa-decimal, and sort.
image.png

lwolfie
10 - Fireball

That was a fun one!

Gem
9 - Comet

Sorry Camel Santa! It was rough but we got there! 

Spoiler
Day 7.JPG

Laurap1228
11 - Bolide

Got to use my favorite tool Tile :)

Spoiler
AOC7.PNG
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Day 7 was fun - the solution I came up with is not super pretty, but it works :-)

Spoiler
There's not much to say about the recipe here - just used 5 consecutive joins to take care of the jokers; then scored the cards and sorted to find biggest.

Screenshot 2023-12-09 211024.png
CandiceDB
Alteryx
Alteryx

Part One only for now 😊:

Spoiler
2023-12-10_09-02-18.png
LiuZhang
9 - Comet
Spoiler
Main workflowMain workflowPart 2 marco to try all combinationPart 2 marco to try all combination

Almost tried some kind explode join, until I realise it is always better to replace J with the same letter.

caitlynmcintyre
9 - Comet

I loved this one

Spoiler
7.png

DaisukeTsuchiya
13 - Pulsar

I post again with solution in yxdb.

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2023-12-07 160832.png

Shelbey
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here's my solution.

For Part 1, I started by parsing the cards into rows, counted the number of cards per value in each hand, and used a couple of multi-row formula tools to determine if a hand was considered a "Full House" or "Two Pair." I then took the max count of each card per hand and labeled it as "[max count] of a kind" and created another lookup table to assign strength points based on the hand. After that, I created another lookup to assign values to each card and parsed the hands into 5 columns, one for each card with the value of the card from my lookup table. Finally, I sorted the hands first by hand strength in descending order, followed by card 1 in descending, then card 2 in descending, and so on, so that the sort order could be used to assign the final ranking to multiply by the bid.

For Part 2, I added a couple of extra formula tools to find the jokers and count how many jokers were in each hand. Then I created a lookup table with all the possible combinations with a joker and what the new hand would look like if the joker took on a different value and changed my card value lookup to include the jokers.

Spoiler
Screenshot_challenge_AoC7.png
Labels