General Discussions

Discuss any topics that are not product-specific here.

Advent of Code 2023 Day 3 (BaseA Style)

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Discussion thread for day 3 of the Advent of Code - https://adventofcode.com/2023/day/3

53 REPLIES 53
IraWatt
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

This one was interesting. I found it more challenging then day 1 or 2. Great to see all the approaches here, of the half dozen ways I tried I never even considered generate rows!!

Spoiler
Part 1Day 3 Part 1.PNG

Part 2Day 3 Part 2.PNG

Yoshiro_Fujimori
15 - Aurora

My solution.

Spoiler

AoC03_WF1.pngAoC03_WF2.png

caltang
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hard coded some stuff but it works I guess! Forgot that REGEX_CountMatches exists when I started… 

Also, special credit to @clmc9601 ! Her guide and previous AOC entry really helped me conceptualise this better. I added a comment to visualise the “surrounding” values of the special characters! Thanks Claire!!!!

Spoiler
image.pngimage.png

Calvin Tang
Alteryx ACE
https://www.linkedin.com/in/calvintangkw/
suwenchuan
7 - Meteor

Day 3 down! Off to learning from others' solution 🚀

Spoiler

Spoiler
AlteryxGui_AOCDay3.png

FrederikE
13 - Pulsar

It took me 30 min of troubleshooting to figure out my workflow was fine, but I had to turn AMP engine off.

Spoiler
Screenshot 2023-12-03 113349.png
patrick_digan
17 - Castor
17 - Castor
Spoiler
image.png
Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Not so pretty flow but get the number correctly. 😁

AoC2023-Day3.png

AndrewDMerrill
13 - Pulsar

These workflows are more work and less flow. This was tough to think through, and made tougher by random inconveniences like me forgetting to check my data types.

starkey
7 - Meteor
Spoiler
2023-12-03_09-46-09.png

I definitely had a flashback to previous years of AOC when reading the prompt for this one! Keeping the data long and thin and making use of IDs was the key to helping me wrap my head around how to solve this one without over complicating it.

afv2688
16 - Nebula
16 - Nebula

For sure can be optimized but don't want to spend more time here XD

Spoiler
Went with mathematical aproach and looked for vector distance between special characters and numbers
Sin título.png
Labels