Engine Works

Under the hood of Alteryx: tips, tricks and how-tos.
MarcW
Alteryx
Alteryx

Introduction

The Alteryx Analytics Cloud Platform (AACP) was launched in February 2023 with the introduction of new self-service capabilities for data profiling and preparation, data storytelling and collaboration, and automated ML predictions.

Now with the release of Cloud Execution for Desktop, users can publish Designer Desktop workflows to AACP, where they can be managed and executed. This provides existing Designer customers with a path to the cloud that protects existing investment and opens opportunities to leverage other Alteryx Cloud services. The first release of Cloud Execution for Desktop was released with Designer 23.1 Patch 1 and associated AACP updates.

image1.PNG

How does it work?

1. In Designer, the user creates a linked connection to an AACP workspace, then synchronizes the link with AACP. The synchronization process authenticates the user, establishes the connection to the AACP workspace, and synchronizes any DCM data connections. The link details can be edited and synchronized should any connection details change.

image2.PNG

1. The Designer workflow is saved to the AACP workspace using the Save As dialog.

image3.PNG

1. The user accesses the AACP portal Library and selects Designer Desktop to view the workflow. The right-side menu is used to schedule the workflow.

image4.PNG

1. Once executed, workflow status and any downloadable outputs, including the Designer engine log, are accessed from the Jobs page.

image5.PNG

1. Workflow modifications are made by opening the AACP workflow in Designer desktop and saving the workflow back to AACP. The most recent saved changes are available for execution. Note, Designer desktop workflows are not converted to be used with Designer Cloud.

Architecture

Cloud Execution for Desktop leverages the AACP split plane architecture, and desktop workflows are executed within the customer’s VPC and private data plane. Private Data Handling, including Private Data Storage, is configured. See Alteryx Analytics Cloud Platform - A Technical Overview for more details on the AACP architecture.

image6.PNG

When a Designer user saves a desktop workflow to AACP, the workflow package is stored in AACP Workspace Storage (e.g., S3 on AWS).

During workflow execution, a container in a dedicated VM instance retrieves the Workflow package and runs the workflow with the Alteryx engine that is configured in Designer workflow settings. Both the AMP and E1 engines are supported.

Two VMs, each with 3 containers, are initiated to execute up to a total of 6 simultaneous workflows per workspace. Any additional runs are queued and will run once one of the 6 concurrent runs finishes.

Job results are written back to storage. The container is terminated when a workflow execution completes.

Requirements and Additional Information

• The users must have a license for Designer desktop and AACP.
  • Designer desktop version 23.1 Patch 1 or greater is required.
  • Data Connection Manager (DCM) is required to authenticate to an AACP workspace and define data connections. See the documentation for supported data source connectors and drivers.
  • User-written macros are supported when packaged with the published workflow.
  • Alteryx Intelligence Suite and Alteryx R are included with Cloud Execution for Desktop.
  • Some features such as Analytic Apps, Run As credentials, Safe Mode, Data Products, and custom connectors and drivers are not supported in the first release.

See the documentation for additional details.

To get a hands-on introduction to cloud execution for desktop, check out these resources next:

For customers: Maveryx Learning Marketplace - Cloud Execution for Desktop

For community members: Interactive Lessons - Cloud Execution for Desktop

Comments
simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello,

Great ! I was very exciOf course I tried and here what I have :

image.png

Readin the help page  (https://help.alteryx.com/20231/designer/cloud-execution-desktop ) ddidn't help with thos error messages. How can i know what's missing ?

Best regards,

Simon

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

I have tried the "Designer 23.1 Patch 1" install and I stagnate at a nearly identical endpoint as @simonaubert_bd. Please chime in as to how to put start leveraging this new capability.

Thankfully we can still leverage the "old" downloads portal which does allow downloading the patch to 2023.1.1.200 so I took some liberty to share a link to the patch installer here so others can have a go at it as well.

err_Desktop_to_AYXcloud.png

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello @RWvanLeeuwen  Just for clarification : did you manage to manke it worked ? My tests were with the last release already (without it, you can't access to the Cloud), so I guess no.

Best regards,

Simon

MarcW
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi  @

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

Hello @MarcW 

Thanks. I think the issue is with the Private Data Handling... Not easy to set it up, especially when I know nothing about AWS. :( It will take me a few days to understand all of that things and I'm not even sure that my AWS account is ok. I'm frankly deceived here : I use other cloud solutions such as Qlik Cloud and Tableau Cloud, it's quite easier.

Best regards,

Simon

RWvanLeeuwen
11 - Bolide

@simonaubert_bdhi, no this feature does not work on my machine and I am reinstalling Alteryx as Designer now has new flaws implemented through the patch.

@MarcWfeel free to share insights on how this features can be both safely and appropriately tested. Once again I am doing a rigorous deinstall of Alteryx as this patch has resulted in many Alteryx native features to break, such as apps (list boxes with NameValue data crash) and predictive tools (TS plot states it can only read in 1 input, even though it only has one).

Any other remarks of the motivational category to stimulate me and others to test this without breaking Designer would be great. Thanks in advance

Felipe_Ribeir0
16 - Nebula

Has anyone attempted and succeeded in testing it?

simonaubert_bd
13 - Pulsar

@Felipe_Ribeir0  Still not. I have to find someone inside my company for all the AWS stuff :(