Cloud Quests

Elevate your workflow skills by solving real-world challenges using the Alteryx Analytics Cloud Platform.

Cloud Quest #6: Girl Power in Math

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi Maveryx,

We posted the solution JSON file to Cloud Quest #5. Check it out and let us know what you think! Send suggestions to academy@alteryx.com or leave a comment below.

Let’s dive into this week's quest!

Download the provided JSON start file and upload it into your Analytics Cloud library. For more detailed instructions on how to import and export Designer Cloud workflow files, check out the pinned article .

Scenario:

This week’s quest revolves around data provided about standardized math exams administered in New York City Public Schools from 2013 to 2019. Download the provided district_math_results.csv dataset and reconnect it in your starting workflow file. Ensure that the Interpret Column Datatypes checkbox is not selected in the Input Data tool options. The dataset includes details on the district, grade, year, category (male/female); the number of students who took the test; and the percentage of students who achieved each level, with Level 4 being the highest.

You have two tasks:

• Calculate the change, by district, in the percentage of 8th grade female students who achieved a Level 4 score in 2019 compared to 2013.
  • Identify the top three districts that showed the most significant improvement in the Level 4 percentage over the same period. 

Hint: Configure the Cross Tab tool to create a new column based on the Year field, labeling the columns as Year 2013 and Year 2019. The Level 4 percentage should serve as the value for these columns, using the Use First Value method. Ensure the data is grouped by District.

Spoiler
A combination of the Sample, Filter, Cross Tab, Formula, and Select tools should solve your problem, but not necessarily in this sequence.

A combination of the Sample, Filter, Cross Tab, Formula, and Select tools should solve your problem, but not necessarily in this sequence.

If you find yourself struggling with any of the tasks, feel free to explore these interactive lessons in the Maveryx Academy for guidance:

Once you have completed your quest, go back to your Analytics Cloud library. Download your workflow solution file. Include your JSON file and workflow screenshot as attachments to your comment.

Here’s to a successful quest!

AYXAcademy_0-1713381881710.png

Source: https://infohub.nyced.org/docs/default-source/default-document-library/2014-15-to-2022-23-nyc-regent...

15 REPLIES 15
logdog0411
8 - Asteroid
Spoiler
CQ6 Bellamy.png

AkimasaKajitani
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

My solution!

Spoiler
スクリーンショット 2024-04-18 092048.png

Qiu
20 - Arcturus
20 - Arcturus

Done

Spoiler
Quest 6.PNG
JoachimCaronTIL
8 - Asteroid

Here is my solution

Spoiler
Cloud Quest 6 - JC.png

nwaters
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here is my solution

ScottMcV
Alteryx
Alteryx

Could have been more compact on my part, but I've been speed running and chaining tools quickly rather than tweaking a single tool.

Spoiler
Cloud Quest 6 - Scott.png
tshih18
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Cloud Quest 6 screenshot.png

TonyaS
Alteryx
Alteryx

I had to do an App in App Builder for extra credit with this one. FUN! 

Spoiler
CloudQuest6-TS-Solution-Screenshot.png
CloudQuest6-TS-AppBuilderOrchestration.png
CloudQuest6-TS-AppBuilderUI.png

Tonya Smith
Sr. Technical Product Manager, cloud App Builder
Diederik_vanderharst
8 - Asteroid

Voila

Spoiler
Scherm­afbeelding 2024-04-19 om 10.33.23.png