Cloud Quests

Elevate your workflow skills by solving real-world challenges using the Alteryx Analytics Cloud Platform.

Cloud Quest #1: Preparing Delimited Data

AYXAcademy
Alteryx
Alteryx

Academy_Quests_Banner_1050 x 300 (1050 x 200 px) (1).png

Hi Maveryx,

Welcome to your very first Cloud Quest! This initiative is a thrilling journey into the world of the Alteryx Analytics Cloud, and we are kicking things off with a focus on Alteryx Designer Cloud. These new quests are not only tests of your skills but also opportunities to delve deeper into the practical uses of Designer Cloud in handling real-world data issues.

In the world of data processing, text files often include quotes, which are commonly used to manage strings. This can pose a unique challenge for extract, transform, and load (ETL) programs due to the presence of multiple character types.

In this quest, you have a CSV file containing two rows of concatenated data that include double quotes, single quotes, and commas, which enclose different data types. Use Designer Cloud to separate the data into three different columns: Poem, Poem ID, and Poem Read Date. Refer to the image below to see how your solution should look.

Screenshot 2024-02-20 180459.png

Spoiler
Hint: A combination of Formula, Text to Columns, and Select tools should be suffice to solve your problem!

If you find yourself struggling with any of the tasks, feel free to explore these interactive lessons in Maveryx Academy for guidance:

Once you have completed this quest, capture a screenshot of your finalized workflow in Designer Cloud and attach the image of your solution to a comment on this post.

Here’s to a successful quest!

SOLUTION

AYX-Maveryx_Micro Identity-Maveryx Academy_wordmark.png

52 REPLIES 52
serranoX
Alteryx
Alteryx

Hi biancang. Thanks for starting doing Cloud Quests. 
I could recommend you to explore Upstream, when you upload the file this option --> Import Settings / Use First Row as header. 
It could help you in your workflow. 

Kind regards. 

JeffF
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
I would have changed the Poem_ID to an INT, but that's not what the example output showed.

Quest#1-2024-02-20_16-54-05.png
FlorianC
Alteryx
Alteryx
Spoiler
Designer Cloud workflowDesigner Cloud workflow
Florian Carrier
Strategic Solution Consultant
Alteryx
geoff_zath
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here is my solution:

Spoiler
quest_1_workflow.png

Dlawless610
5 - Atom

Here is my solution. answer.jpg

RobertW
Alteryx
Alteryx

Love these

Ladarthure
14 - Magnetar
14 - Magnetar

My solution for this challenge!

Very insightful, the way the find replace works is very pleasant to use (used to parse the dates since my browser is not set up in english).

Very satisfying also to get back to learning new Alteryx tools! feeling of both excitement and I know how this works!

Spoiler
Capture d'écran 2024-02-23 113401.png
YaGurlKate
Alteryx
Alteryx

Definitely could get this done with fewer tools using Regex, but sometimes it's nice to just do the ol' drag and drop :)

Spoiler
cloud quest #1.png

MikeRoof
Alteryx
Alteryx

👋

Spoiler
Screen Shot 2024-02-26 at 10.54.13 AM.png
teddim
Alteryx
Alteryx

Here is my workflow