Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Writing to dynamic file names on the Alteryx Server

JAKFBL
5 - Atom

Hello,

I have created a workflow to be used by multiple people for multiple projects. The workflow takes the file path of the input file and then changes the file name so now the output path is the same location as the input. Then using blob tools the workflow saves the output files in the same location as the inputs, reducing time spent saving and moving files. This works when I run the workflow on my computer, but when it is run on the server the outputs still need to be downloaded from the server. Has anyone done something similar to this without coding?

(A coworker got the server to save to a static file path, but I don't want to try and learn python just for this cool trick)

7 REPLIES 7
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @JAKFBL ,

You have to use UNC paths in your blob output tool and, when publishing your workflow, you have to uncheck the assets box in the workflow options

When using the server, the workflow options will be your best friend, unchecking the box means that you want to read or write files to folders and checking the box means uploading input files with the workflow or having the files on the Gallery for the users to download.

Best,

Fernando Vizcaino

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @JAKFBL ,

As @fmvizcaino mentioned, reading/writing to network folders works a little different when running workflows in Server. Here is a write-up I put together a couple years ago since I was struggling with a very similar question when I first started using Server:

Reading / Writing to Network Folders with Alteryx Server 

JAKFBL
5 - Atom

Thank you @fmvizcaino and @phottovy. I was on the right path but wasn't updating the dynamic output paths for the UNC format.

edavies
8 - Asteroid

Thank you for posting this.  It seems like it was a huge help for everyone.  However, I'm still having issues uploading my workflow to the server.  Would you know of any possible solutions?  I updated all my filepaths to "All UNC" and I'm receiving the attached error.  I can upload successfully without updating to "All UNC," but when I try to run the workflow in the server, it truncates the file paths in my dynamic input tool that I use to automatically pull the most recent file in a given file path.  

edavies
8 - Asteroid

Update: I have noticed that when I successfully upload my workflow to the server/gallery, it is storing the workflow and the files that are being utilized in the dynamic input tool in my local drive rather than referencing my company's S: drive.  This seems to be the driving issue of the workflow not working properly, as I need it to reference the S: drive rather than my local drive.  Has anyone had any similar issues?

phottovy
13 - Pulsar
13 - Pulsar

Hi @edavies, are you able to share a screen shot of the configuration of your dynamic input tool?

edavies
8 - Asteroid

@phottovy apologies for the delay here.  I ended up figuring out the issue here.  It seems like I was uploading my workflow to the server correctly all along.  However, I did not have the correct permissions, and the admins at my company adjusted my permissions, so that I could upload workflows to the server.  However, whenever I do save it to the gallery, it gives me an error message (attached above), but still works when I go to run it in the Gallery.  Wanted to throw this out there in case someone else has a similar issue.