Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

What are the implications of packaging an output tool when deploying to server?

tristank
11 - Bolide

I am confused as to when you would want to package an output tool or add an output as an asset under the events tab. Any context / relevant use cases is much appreciated :)

1 REPLY 1
KGT
7 - Meteor

I'm not sure these are your only options. Or I've misunderstood what you mean by "package".

• When you save a workflow to the server, the output connection is also included. If you package the output tool, then that output will be stored in the Server Mongo, and not easily accessible except for the Run completed screen.
  • When you have it on the events tab, then that executes after the workflow and outside of the normal reporting, as it's not technically in the workflow. This should only really be needed for items where you need the workflow completed such as Email results; send logs to another system; report on the results of the run (metadata, not data).

An output tool is basically a connection, and so posting a workflow to Gallery/Server with an output connection basically just directs the output to that connection with whatever options are configured.