Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

[Unnamed Module] in Engine logs

Neffarious23
6 - Meteoroid

I've created a workflow which reads through Server Engine logs to better understand usage patterns in our 3-node environment.  While parsing through the logs for various pieces of info, specifically the Workflow name in the "Started running" row, I ran across a few logs with unexpected workflow names, "[Unnamed Module]" in some, and "[Unnamed Analytics App]" in others.  I'm guessing these are possibly the result of running a new, unsaved workflow from within the Designer on the server but that is a stretch.  Anyone else have thoughts on how a workflow can be executed on the server without a name?  

3 REPLIES 3
TimN
13 - Pulsar

I can't say for certain that all "[Unnamed Module]" logs are from running a new, unsaved workflow from within the Designer on the server but if you run a unsaved WF on the server, that is what appears in the server log.  Same for "[Unnamed Analytics App]".  My feeling is that unsaved workflows or apps run on the server are the main reason.  

Neffarious23
6 - Meteoroid

Thank you for the feedback.  As it turns out I was able to find the culprit for the "Unnamed Analytic App" log files which was a workflow in Gallery which did not have a name ("name": "") and was being scheduled to run daily.  We have asked the owner of that WF to give it a name if it should be running.  Also, I definitely agree with you something is going on the running and or scheduling new apps from the server-installed Designer.  It may be a bit more challenging to find the source of the "Unnamed Module" but it is an interesting mystery to solve.  Once I have that answer I'll close the discussion topic.  Thanks again.

TimN
13 - Pulsar

I was thinking if you have all the "Unnamed" entries from all logs you might be able to tie it to executions from Mongodb (admin api maybe) and then get the user who executed each one.