Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Oracle Bulk Loader

nlewis
7 - Meteor

I am working in a situation where I have an Alteryx Server implementation which a requirement to upload large amounts of data to an Oracle DB. I've noticed that there is an Oracle Bulk Upload capability but it does not have the option to Append to an Existing table (like the PostGres one). Does anyone know if this is going to be added anytime soon? Are there any work arounds available in the meantime?

3 REPLIES 3
ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

Hi @nlewis 

I am a bit confused with your problem description regarding the Oracle Bulk Upload; Are you implementing an Alteryx Tool? or Are you talking about the native Oracle Bulk Upload?

Arnaldo

nlewis
7 - Meteor

I'm talking about the native Oracle Bulk Upload option. There is a Delete and Append option but the client doesn't allow for deletions. The PG Bulk Uploader has an Append Existing option. I was wondering if this capability would be added to the Oracle Bulk Upload option in Alteryx anytime soon and if there were any work arounds.

ArnaldoSandoval
12 - Quasar

Hi @nlewis 

I did a research on Oracle and PostgreSQL bulk loader features, I did not find clear explanations regarding Delete and Append using bulk loader, actually in the Oracle communities most of the people suggested workaround while with PostgreSQL it seems the feature is supported, finally I read Alteryx documentation for PostgreSQL bulk loader, finding this Configure PostgreSQL Bulk Connection for Writing Data in this page, at its bottom we read

PostgreSQL-Bulk-01.png

While I did not find detailed information in Alteryx regarding Oracle's bulk loader (it is very shallow, nothing regarding appending or deleting using bulk loader), while I had a lot of fun reading this article at Ask Tom forum: Regular Delete vs. Bulk Delete it is a long thread, although my impression is that Tom does not like to use Bulk delete/append, personally I don't like that either in Oracle, and based on what I read regarding PostgreSQL, I will be very concerned on implementing it.

Once upon the time, I deployed Oracle bulk loader, but our data warehouse had staging tables, so it was easier to deal with deletion or appending.

Hope this helps,

Arnaldo