Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.

Multiple SQL Queries into 1 excel file with sheets

olimpio
8 - Asteroid

Hi everyone,

I have a  workflow which I need help with.

Scenario:

We have multiple SQL queries that need to be queried. In the current environment the workflow will pick up the queries 1 by 1 and create one excel file for each output.

requirement:

We need one excel file with multiple sheets for each query instead of having multiple excel files. is there is any way of getting this done?

4 REPLIES 4
gabrielvilella
14 - Magnetar

I’m guessing you have the output tool inside a batch macro. You need the output tool outside the macro and have the sheet name on a field on the data for each iteration. 

frank_sanseri
Alteryx
Alteryx

If I understand your example, you can use a combination of the Union Tool, Block Until Done Tool, and an Excel Output tool configured to take the tab name from a field in the flow.  I've mocked this up in the attached file to show conceptually how it would work.  

frank_sanseri_0-1670597377773.png

In this case, the queries can produce different data sets, but are still unioned with a common source field to differentiate them later.  This allows the merged data to run through a single Block Until Done Tool, where it is separated by source name, the mismatched columns are removed, and the resulting data sent to the output tool. 

Please take a look and try it in your environment.  If it works, please mark this as the solution. 

apathetichell
18 - Pollux

There are a number of ways to do what you are asking - but if you can explain the architecture of your current workflow (where the queries are output/file/sheet naming conventions - etc) it helps tailor the solution.

Basically each query is assigned a different sheet name and along with a filename this is attached either via append fields/formula tool in batch macro with a replacement or some other mechanism. output data then takes entire path (which means filename|sheet) where each query is a different sheet.

frank_sanseri
Alteryx
Alteryx

@olimpio, have you used any of the solutions here? If so please remember to mark it solved for that response.