Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Migration Prep Tool

VAVERMA
6 - Meteoroid

Hi, 

Can anyone explain more about Migration Prep Tool, we wanted to know because we are planning to upgrade our Alteryx version 2022.1 to a newer version 2023.1. I have some queries regarding Migration Prep Tool.

Q.1 Why do we need Migration Prep Tool?

Q.2 What exactly does this tool migrate?

Q.3 Exact how much space is required for this tool?

Kindly anyone provides the appropriate solution.

Thank you in advance.

Regards,

Vaibhav 

8 REPLIES 8
TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @VAVERMA 
Hopefully i can help you today!

Regarding your queries:

1. In short, the way the data is being stored/encrypted in the MongoDB is changing between those versions. Unfortunately what this means is that all data within the database as to effectively be recreated in the new encryption method when this upgrade is carried out. This process is automatically done when you upgrade to this version, however it can be experienced that this process can take hours, or even days, depending on the size of your Alteryx Server and the MongoDB. To alleviate this, Alteryx created the migration tool, which will carry out this whole process in the background, while the Alteryx Server is online, meaning you do not need to worry about additional downtime. What's great about this is that this process can be carried out prior to the upgrade, meaning that the upgrade will only have to migrate any new content. (https://help.alteryx.com/20223/server/migration-prep-tool).

2. The tool migrates any data stored in the MongoDB that can be migrated prior to the upgrade. I believe this is just workflow and App files (https://help.alteryx.com/20223/server/migration-prep-tool-faqs).

3. The actual tool is very small, however the process can require a lot of space. Unfortunately this is a 'how long is a piece of string' question, as it completely depends on the size of your MongoDB. However, when running the migration prep tool, prior to execution it will tell you how much storage space is needed to carry out the migration (https://help.alteryx.com/20223/server/run-migration-prep-tool).

I hope this helps,

TheOC

Bulien
VAVERMA
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @TheOC , 

Thank you so much for your reply, I really appreciate your effort.

Do we really need Migration Prep Tool, before upgrading Alteryx version 2023.1?

If yes then after the installation the Mongo version will be the same or different?

Brinker
8 - Asteroid

Hi @VAVERMA 

Yes, you need to migrate your workflows to be compatible with the new Mongo backend.

Please follow the steps and check for any errors after the migration. Those records need to be removed before you attempt the upgrade or it will cause a lot of issues.

Best,

Brinker

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @VAVERMA 
My understanding is that the upgrade process will carry out the migration either way. You can run the migration prep prior to upgrading, or just upgrade. 

The problem you will face, that the migration prep tool solves, is that the upgrade will take a long time if it is migrating your workflows.

So in short:

Its not required to run the tool before upgrading, but I'd massively recommend it for redundancy and reducing downtime of the Server.

Bulien
VAVERMA
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @TheOC and @Brinker,

Thank you for your reply and suggestion, and most importantly your time. 

I have one small doubt, for Migration prep tool.

Below is the command which I need to execute on cmd:

#Example for use with the embedded MongoDB or a single user-managed MongoDB server:
AlteryxServiceMigrator22_2.exe -p -c "mongodb://{user}:{password}@{host.domain.tld}:{port}/AlteryxService?authSource={authenticationDB}"

This might look like in the following example. Please note that 'NON_ADMIN_MONGO_PASSWORD' and 'localhost' should be changed based on your current setup.  

AlteryxServiceMigrator22_2.exe -p -c "mongodb://user:NON_ADMIN_MONGO_PASSWORD@localhost:27018/AlteryxService?authSource=AlteryxService"

Here my doubt is, where do I get a non-admin mongo password I have an admin password is it the same for non-admin?

Kindly give me your suggestion.

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hi @VAVERMA 
Within the System settings you can find the Admin and Non-Admin password:

TheOC_0-1692982170046.png

In this case, the non-admin password is the password stored under the Admin password. These are not the same value.

Kind Regards,

Owen

Bulien
VAVERMA
6 - Meteoroid

Hi @TheOC ,

How do we know that our migration prep tool has successfully migrated? I checked the release note which does not mention how we cross-check that migration has been done and how we know that it's failed, after failing what do we need to do?

Thanks in advance!

Brinker
8 - Asteroid

Hi @VAVERMA 

You need to find the this file in the logs, D:\ProgramData\Alteryx\Service\AlteryxServiceMigrator_#.log. Then search for "3;" or ";3" (I can't remeber which one is the error code). If there are any errors, it will give you the id and the table in which it is. You will have to remove those records from the MongoDB using RoboT3 before the upgrade because they cannot be migrated. That is what I had to do with my errors.

Best,

Brinker

Edit note: It is advised that you contact Alteryx support if you see any errors in the AlteryxServiceMigrator_#.log file, so they can assist in resolving them.