Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Data Connection Alias in our Input Connection, but unable to translate on Alteryx Server

zzy98y
7 - Meteor

Hi, 

I have set up a connection string in data connections in the admin page of the Alteryx Server and shared with numbers of users, include users that's the admin of the alteryx server. 

I design my workflow in a way that use numbers of self-build workflows saved as macros and connect with them, Inside these self-build macros, I use connection alias I set up in Alteryx Server as Input Data. 

For some reason, when I migrate to the server and run the workflow, the server is unable to translate the alias and throw an error. 

At first, I thought it's because my workflow use multiple macros connect them.. that's the reason why Alteryx Server unable to translate the alias. 

So I build a simple yxmd workflow and use the alias and upload to the server, the same error happened, unless in the manage workflow asset options I check this alias connection to be included in the workflow as a package and migrate to the server, then it will work. 

So this got me thinking, when I migrate this master yxmd to the server, the manage workflow assets options only show assets in the yxmd, which is bunch of yxmc I build at a UNC path.. it does not go into a more detail level of the macro and search what alias connection does it use.. 

So my way to get around this is to use a DSN Connection set up in the Windows Server that host the Alteryx Server and it got working as long the DSN name is the same between local and windows server. 

But I really want to try get this to working.. 

What ways I can try to make it work? 

One way I could think of this is, Alteryx Server still allow migrate Macros. I felt I could migrate those individual Macros I have built into the server with the alias connection string included in the workflow asset management for each macros. 

And then I  migrate the master workflow, I could point the location of the macros instead of UNC, maybe just be on the server instead. 

But I am not so sure how this works, if anyone has better way to do this, please let me know!!

Much appreciated!! 

1 REPLY 1
fmvizcaino
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Hi @zzy98y ,

This is a very particular issue that happens when you have connections or other assets inside of macros or macros inside of macros. 

Take a look at this tutorial. It explains how to enable to assets management windows and to force the assets to be exported or saved correctly.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Desktop-Knowledge-Base/Troubleshooting-Asset-Selec...

Best,

FErnando Vizcaino