Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Change workflow ownership in Gallery

smysnbrg
8 - Asteroid

Is there a preferred way to change ownership of a workflow in Gallery?  

As the server administrator of our organization, I would like to reassign workflows of users who have moved on.  I can make it so the new user can download the workflow and republish it, but it seems like that's a very cubersome process involving permission and role changes.

I'm looking to see if Alteryx has a documented process to do this that's not so tedious.

Thanks,

S

18 REPLIES 18
Div
6 - Meteoroid

Can you provide us that application?

jason_scarlett
10 - Fireball

Flat out painful.
Please take a look at how Tableau Server does things. So much easier to manage things.

CatheyH
8 - Asteroid

This has been updated to "Coming soon" (potentially 2024)

There is also a workaround option to mark a workflow's history as "visible to others" in workflow settings.

https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Server-Ideas/Allow-Transfer-of-Owner-from-one-Workflow-to-A...

markashman
8 - Asteroid

I tried the API approach, copied the example body syntax and yet it errors: 

{ "message": "Invalid Subscription." }

Anyone have any joy using this workaround

CatheyH
8 - Asteroid

I am finding this frustrating. Hoping that this as well as ability for admins (or even everyone is same collection) to see all runs is added when subscriptions finally go.

We have multiple scheduled workflows, that a number of team members monitor. At the weekend a few failed and a team member manually ran the workflows. Unfortunatley, even, though history is shared, noone else in the team / same studio can tell that those workflows have now been successfully run because the history is for schedules (or owner?) only. We have got around this by building a query using MongoDB connectors, but frustrating that it isn't in the Gallery UI.

kgmeagher
5 - Atom

I was searching again for any great answers on the problem of wanting to change ownership on a workflow - frustrating that a very obvious requirement cannot be easily done. 

esoden
8 - Asteroid

Hey All! Workflow Admin Manager will allow you to transfer ownership of 1 or 100s of workflows with a few clicks.  It also has reports that analyze security, what's in/not in studios/collections, and allows you to migrate them around. It also allows you to move your workflows from one Server/Gallery to another with a GUI.

The goal was to help the Alteryx Server admins and auditors by adding features we all need to scale Alteryx safely and easily.

The video here is a snip from a webinar we did with a full review of WAM. https://capitalizeconsulting.com/webinar/wam-governance-maintenance-reporting-challenges-are-solved/

mbaerend
Alteryx
Alteryx

I'm happy to announce that as of Alteryx Server 2024.1, curators can now transfer ownership of workflows and schedules individually and in bulk via the Server UI and APIs! Curators can transfer workflows between users even if the users are in different studios, and when a workflow is transferred, it will move to the new owner's studio.

We also added two new APIs for curators to transfer asset ownership.

PUT /v3/users/{userId}/assetTransfer - Transfer ownership of all workflows, schedules, and collections from one user to another in a single API call.

PUT /v3/workflows/{workflowId}/transfer - Transfer workflow ownership from one user to another with the option to transfer the workflow owner's schedules as well.

These are our first steps at improving our transfer options and we will continue to improve them in the future. For more information, please check out the links below, and if you would like to suggest more transfer features, please submit a new idea and we will check it out!

Alteryx Server 24.1 Release Notes

Transfer Workflow Ownership Help Documents

Transfer Schedule Ownership Help Documents

PUT /v3/workflows/{workflowId}/transfer Workflow Endpoints

PUT /v3/users/{userId}/assetTransfer User Endpoints

Mariah Baerend
mbaerend
Alteryx
Alteryx

I'm happy to announce that as of Alteryx Server 2024.1, curators can now transfer ownership of workflows and schedules individually and in bulk via the Server UI and APIs! Curators can transfer workflows between users even if the users are in different studios, and when a workflow is transferred, it will move to the new owner's studio. When workflows are transferred between users, the version history will be retained as well.

We also added two new APIs for curators to transfer asset ownership.

• PUT /v3/users/{userId}/assetTransfer - Transfer ownership of all workflows, schedules, and collections from one user to another in a single API call.
  • PUT /v3/workflows/{workflowId}/transfer - Transfer workflow ownership from one user to another with the option to transfer the workflow owner's schedules as well.

These are our first steps at improving our transfer options and we will continue to improve them in the future. For more information, please check out the links below, and if you would like to suggest more transfer features, please submit a new idea and we will check it out!

Mariah Baerend