Alteryx Server Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Server.
SOLVED

Best practices for Input and Output connections

tbuenaflor
7 - Meteor

Hello - My company is at the beginning stages of migrating workflows into Server/Gallery and was wondering if there are any best practices to follow when it comes to input and output files. Most of our workflows data connects to a shared drive however we are trying to move to using SharePoint, which hasn't been my favorite tool. 

Does Server allow users to save excel files to be used as inputs into a workflow and also output excel files all within the server/gallery environment? 

Or would it be better to continue to use the SharePoint input and output tools, in which case how would I go about setting up a connection since the tool gives a warning that "You can't run workflows on Server if you connect manually"

2 REPLIES 2
KGT
8 - Asteroid

I'm not totally aware of the current sharepoint tools functionality, however I can comment on the saving of files.

• You can set up a connection on the server to your "working drive". So, make the connection Z drive or something like that, and set up each user with the same connection. Sharepoint should be able to direct to these, but you may need IT engagement.
  • When dealing with Sharepoint, take your IT's advice when you can as MS will change things over the years and you don't want to be outside of your IT's movements on how to deal with Sharepoint/Onedrive. 
  • Saving input files on the server directly is not a good idea unless you own the server in your team. That means, you have the admin rights and configure the server, not IT. (not recommended)
  • Take a look at the DCM and see if there is a way that might make sense there.
  • The main thing you want to ensure is that having a connection on Designer being able to transition to Server with minimum engagement. For this, you want to minimise bespoke solutions and try to use DCM, Sharepoint/Onedrive Tools, Network Drives etc.
  • The absolute best solution would be a DB, and upskilling the team on using that. Understandable that it's not always easy though.
tbuenaflor
7 - Meteor

@KGT Thank you! This is exactly what I was looking for. Think I'll start off with asking our IT team if we could setup a drive just for input out files think link to our Sharepoint sites. If not, working with the sharepoint tools isn't the end of the world, just slow lol.