Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

How to Create an Individual Value Thematic Map

DanC
Created

A common use case related to mapping is creating a map of customers that are color-coded, for example, according to which sister store they purchased from or which branch they bank at. Typically, a thematic map is thought of as a map of polygons shaded by a range of values. But in this case, we are shading points according to unique values.

In order to create a map like this, you simply need a file of points and a field that has groups of unique values, again, such as a store or a branch ID. In the example below, I simply thematically mapped our sample set of stores by county, which allows the audience to easily determine which county each store is in. This would be very similar to the use case of which store or branch the customer is associated with.

Here's how you do it:

After connecting your dataset to the Report Map tool, configure the following screens as shown:

1. Choose the field to thematically map

DataTab.png

2. Select the 'Theme' option under the point layer your are mapping and choose the options as shown below

Layers.png

After a few aesthetic adjustments, the map looks like this:

Map.png

And the workflow looks like this, which is also attached to this post (created in 10.5).

Workflow.png

Worth Noting:

This type of map does not lend itself to large groups of values. In these cases, there are many colors used, and due to the number of unique values, many shades of those colors. This makes it difficult to distinguish one group from the next.

Happy mapping!

Attachments
Comments
benaikins
7 - Meteor

Hi @DanC ,

This is great insight thanks, now what if in a situation where I want to create an individual thematic map like what you have there, but my end goal is to zoom to individual points and create a report map for each point but still be able to show surrounding points. How possible is that. I tried but whenever i use the group layer field it tend to give me just a map of one theme. I want to see all the theme on the legend but the map focusing on one point at a time...

Kindly help, Thanks

ijurgensen
7 - Meteor

Benaikins, did you ever get an answer to this?