How To: Add Color Schemes from ColorBrewer2.org to the Report Map Tool
The attached Alteryx Workflow takes the color schemes from www.ColorBrewer2.org and adds them to a new XML file to be utilized as the ReportSettings.xml file installed with Alteryx. You can utilize the new color palettes under the Report Map tool. Note that these palettes will not be added to the Interactive Chart or Insight tools.
The ReportSettings.xml file has the color palette definitions used by some of the reporting tools like Chart and Map. This file can be found in this directory \Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData
- Alteryx Designer
- Admin Permissions for the Installation Location of Alteryx on your Machine.
- Open the attached Alteryx Packaged Workflow (.yxzp file) in Alteryx.
- Confirm that the Input Tool bringing in the ReportSettings.xml file is pointing to the correct location on your machine (by default, admin: C:\Program Files\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData\ReportSettings.xml, non-admin: C:\Users\YOURUSERNAME\AppData\Local\Alteryx\bin\RuntimeData)
- Run the Workflow.
- The module will save the new Temp.xml file to the same directory as your module. If you wish to change just change the destination in the Output tool (at the end of the stream).
- Make a copy of or rename your ReportSettings.xml file found in your RuntimeData directory to keep it as a backup.
- Replace the original ReportSettings.xml with the newly created file. Make sure your new file is named ReportSettings.xml.
- If your ReportSettings.xml is read-only, right click on it > go to Properties and uncheck the Read-Only box.
- Restart Alteryx.
- Confirm the new palettes have been added by checking your Unique Color Options in the Layers tab in the settings within the Map Tool. Now you will have many new palettes to choose from in the Report Map tool.