Get Inspire insights from former attendees in our AMA discussion thread on Inspire Buzz. ACEs and other community members are on call all week to answer!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Sort Field Names Tool

In my environment, creating tables with fields in a particular order is a requirement.

The Select tool (and others) let me manually change sort orders. The Select tool will also allow me to sort on Field Name in Ascending or Descending order.

I can add a sort order prefix to my input data with the Dynamic Rename tool, connect a Select tool and then go into the Select tool properties to sort by Field Name. But this requires that I first run the module so that the Select tool knows what the incoming fields are called, then set up the Select tool properties, and then rerun the module. If I change the prefixes or the list of incoming variables, the Select tool has to be reconfigured.

It would be really nice if there was a Field Sort tool that only had Ascending or Descending as properties that would 'dynamically' do what the Sort on Field Name option in the Select tool does.

3 Comments
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Hi Tom,

Do you mean something like this:

http://downloads.chaosreignswithin.com/community/FieldSortMacroExample.yxzp

Cheers
Adam
tom_montpool
12 - Quasar
Adam,
That's exactly what I was looking for!
I don't know why I didn't think of it myself...great use of the Dynamic Rename and Union tools.
Thanks,
Tom.
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I have now released a version of this macro as part of my Blog Macro pack here:

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/2014/09/blog-macro-pack-2014-q3-release.html

and so have removed the download for the version above.

Adam