Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Dynamic Rename -- Additional Functions

I think that it would be useful to add two new Rename Modes to the Dynamic Rename tool -- here are the existing ones:

I would add:
Take Field Metadata from Right Input Metadata
Take Field Metadata from Right Input Rows

These would allow mass changes in data type, size and scale based on either an existing data table's metadata or an external metadata table.
6 Comments
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Tom,

I don't want to keep replying to your feature requests with "I can do that with a macro".  So I'll say "I can *almost* do that with a macro" :)

The almost is that although I can make the functionality work I can't make the macro throw any field conversion errors that might occur from changing the metadata. 

It's made me realise what somebody wanted a few months back when they asked for a new macro feature, because now I want it too!  The ability to select tools within a macro whose messages will get made a medium or high priority (as per the message tool) and so escape the macro to be displayed to the user.

The work around is for the user of the macro to turn on "show all macro messages" in the module runtime properties, but that's not a very elegant solution... If anyone has any other ideas I'm all ears :)

Anyhow here is my attempt:

http://downloads.chaosreignswithin.com/community/DynamicMetadataExample.yxzp

Adam
AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

I have now released a version of this macro as part of my Blog Macro pack here:

http://www.chaosreignswithin.com/2014/09/blog-macro-pack-2014-q3-release.html

and so have removed the download for the version above.

Adam

smbourke
6 - Meteoroid

Saw this post and gave it a star. We have been using the Chaos Reigns within macro to do this but would be super handy to roll it into a standard tool. 

So thanks Adam for the macro, it has been very useful but also a great idea Tom!

tom_montpool
12 - Quasar

I agree that the CReW macro is great. I use it all the time...so thanks again @AdamR_AYX!

I also think that rolling this into an official tool is the ideal solution.

There are several threads...I believe that @SeanAdams is involved in one... that address why features like this should be in the native Alteryx tool:

1. Official support means better (more efficient) code behind the scenes.
  2. Not everybody can just install something they download. IT departments can lock things down.
SeanAdams
17 - Castor
17 - Castor

Fully agree with you @tom_montpool

In my mind, tools like the CREW macro, and some of the other contributions like James's formulae tools ( @jdunkerley79) and some of the really helpful items on the gallery are a great proving ground for new capabilities - but until they are rolled into the core product they cannot be used by many of your larger customers.

So - we are FULLY supportive of building the CREW macros into the core product, and additionally having a small group within Alteryx who are responsible for looking at community created tools or capabilities which are solving a core need, and main-lining them into the core product.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Revisit

Thank you for posting your idea! We are really interested in your idea, however we cannot fit this idea on the near future road map. We’ll keep this idea in mind however and update the status once we’re better able to speak on when and if we can implement it.