Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Allow "optional incoming connections" to actually be optional for batch macros

I decided to get real fancy when building a standard macro the other day. I checked the box on my macro input that made the connection optional:Capture2.PNG

shocked-will-smith

It worked really well. My macro then became more complex, so I changed it to a batch macro. To my great surpise/astonishment/shock, the optional incoming connection is no longer optional:

Capture.PNG

The standard macro is working as expected on the left, but the batch macro is producing an error because my optional connection is requiring that something be connected to it.

what-did-you-just-say

I've been told that the code to make it optional is not there for batch macros and that this would be a product feature/improvement.

5 Comments
GarryBrittain
6 - Meteoroid

Fast forward 2 years, seems to be the same for an iterative macro.

This macro works just fine with all inputs hooked up, however errors when an input is made optional without an incoming connection. 

GarryBrittain_0-1573970072144.png

David-Carnes
12 - Quasar

"To my great surpise/astonishment/shock...."

My reaction was the same, nearly three years later.  Using Designer 2020.2, FWIW.

KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Not Planned

Thank you for your feedback!

Our product team has reviewed this idea and based on the technical requirements and our current road map, we have determined that we're unable to include this feature into the product at this time. Should this or the road map change however, we will be sure to update this idea back to Under Review.

MacFresno
6 - Meteoroid

If you're not able to implement the feature... DO NOT PLACE THE CHECKBOX 😉

bnjmnsmith
8 - Asteroid

Agreed. Running into the same problem.