Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Multiple rows created by one Unique ID - need to truncate

Colejweinman
7 - Meteor

Hello!

I am brand new to Alteryx, and just had a question about working with some ODBC data. 

There is a report on our server that has a field for a unique ID. However, sometimes there are multiple occurances within each Unique ID that will create a new row for each occurance. I was wondering if there was a way to append each row to consolidate on each Unique ID, so that there are not extrannious rows relating to each Unique ID. Essentially, each new row shows up with a blank row, only displaying data for one column.

For Example:

Unique ID#1 (Data point 1) (Blank) (Blank)

Unique ID#1 (Blank) (Data Point 2) (Blank)

Unique ID#1 (Blank) (Blank) (Data Point 3)

Unique ID#2 (Data point 1) (Blank) (Blank)

and so on.

I was thinking the 'Union' tool would be the way to go, but I am a novice, so I just wanted to make sure I was able to do this correctly, since each run of the tool takes a lot of time and puts a lot of stress on the server. I just want to consolidate all the data for each Unique ID into one row, reducing the size of the table and allowing for faster access to the data. 

Thanks!!

3 REPLIES 3
jdunkerley79
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

You can use a multifield formula tool to replace the (Blank) values with null.

You can then use a Summarise tool to group by the UniqueID and pick the minimum value which will select one of the value in the list.

Have attached a demo work flow.

AdamR_AYX
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

"since each run of the tool takes a lot of time and puts a lot of stress on the server"

You might want to take a look at the "Cache data" option on the input tool for your ODBC connections:

CacheData.png

If you check that option it will make a local cache of your data the first time you run your workflow and then use that cached data for subsequent runs.  It is ideal when you are developing a module which pulls data from a database that is slow to access or you don't want to put undue strain on while you are rerunning your workflow during the development process.

Adam Riley
https://www.linkedin.com/in/adriley/
Colejweinman
7 - Meteor

Worked perfectly. Thank you for your help!

Labels