Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Discussions

Find answers, ask questions, and share expertise about Alteryx Designer Desktop and Intelligence Suite.
SOLVED

Disable Interface Tools like Textbox Drop Down Tool by choosing Radio Button

mathias_schnoor
11 - Bolide

Hey!

I have develop a macro with Radio Button and Drop Down Box Tool.

In my example I have two Radio Button Tools.

The first Radio Button Tool should be work together with a Text Box Tool.

The second Radio Button Tool should be work together with a Drop Down Tool, the Drop Down Tool should be include in the drop down menu the columns from a Input Data or Test Input Tool.

Two thinks I want to implement:

1.)

• When I select the first Radio Button Tool, I want to disable the Drop Down Tool an enable the Text Box Tool.
  • When I select the second Radio Button Tool, I want to disable Test Box Tool and enable Drop Down Tool

If it possible because I have never found a setting.

2.) The other think I want to implement:

The Drop Down Tool should be include in the drop down menu the columns from a Input Data or Text Input Tool.

The rows of the Input Tools are filled with any values.

In my example two columns and one row

Then I connect the Input Tool with the Drop Down Box Tool.

Then I connect the Drop Down Tool with a Formular to select as result the value (row entry) of the choosing column of the Drop Down Tool.

I run the marco in a new  workflow.

But I always get in the result the name of the column.

How is the right setting to reach the solution?

I attached my build macro and a image, where do you can see what I try to explain.

dropdownexample.JPG

Mathias

6 REPLIES 6
michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

First, I believe you want to have two radio buttons:

When the first radio button is selected it enables a dropdown which lists all of the columns for the input data

When the second button is selected, it should enable a text input which is connected to a formula tool

The trick is that Radio Buttons don't have to be connected to any tool in your module. Simply drop in a radio button, check 'Collapse Group When Deselected'

Capture.PNG

and then in your interface designer (enabled by View -> Interface Designer) setup the questions for all the inputs using the up and down arrows:

Capture.PNG

The rest is just connecting the macro input to the dropdown box.

Capture.PNG

I've attached a module and macro so that you can see for yourself

mathias_schnoor
11 - Bolide

Hey Michael,

thank you for your support, I have test our macro.

It works, but I would like to distinguish which radio button is selected.

If the firtst radio button is selected I want to work with the value from the Text Box entry field.

If the second radio button is selected I want to work with the value the selected Drop Down Tool menue entry.

In your example I can't distinguish.

An example with a solution which I strive for I have found in the Trade Area Tool of Spatial.

trade_area.JPG

It possible to build somethink in Alteryx...?

Mathias

mathias_schnoor
11 - Bolide

Hey Michael,

taking into your proposed solution, have build an other macro.

If the firtst radio button is selected the value from the Text Box entry field appear.

If the second radio button is selected the value of the selected Drop Down Tool menue entry appear.

Al last it would be nice to disable the Text Box Tool entry field or the Drop Down Tool instead of to collape the group. Like the Trade Aear Tool.

How it is possible in Alleryx?

Mathias

michael_treadwell
ACE Emeritus
ACE Emeritus

I've uploaded a new workflow and macro.

The macro will add a column called [new_field] to the output

If you choose 'From a Field', you can choose any field in the incoming data stream from a dropdown as the value for [new_field]

select.png

Capture.PNG

However, if you choose 'Enter a Specific Value', any string you type into the textbox will be the value of [new_field]

Capture.PNG

Capture.PNG

Now, this does not give you the 'greyed out' effect that you get from the Trade Area Tool. If someone wants to jump in and tell me if that is possible then that would be a learning moment for me. But it really doesn't matter because this tool functions in the exact same way.

mathias_schnoor
11 - Bolide

O.K. thats it -  thanks.

If a 'greyed out' effect get from the Trade Area Tool is possible would also interest me.

NeilR
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

If I understand your request, to get the "greyed out" effect you need to de-select the "Collapse Group When Deselected" checkbox for the radio buttons:

Capture1.PNG

>>>

Capture2.PNG

Labels