Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!

Alteryx Designer Desktop Knowledge Base

Definitive answers from Designer Desktop experts.

Error: The field “[field_name]” is missing. Compare the tool configuration with the input stream

Alteryx_KB
Alteryx
Alteryx
Created

Environment Details

Note: In versions prior to 2021.1.4, this error message text is "The field "[field_name]" is not contained in the record."
  • Alteryx Designer
    • All versions
  • Impacted Tools
    • Arrange
    • Create Points
    • Cross Tab
    • DateTime
    • Distance
    • Download
    • Dynamic Input
    • Dynamic Replace
    • Email
    • Filter
    • Find Nearest
    • Find Replace
    • Fuzzy Match
    • Generate Rows
    • Interactive Chart
    • JSON Parse
    • Join
    • Join Multiple
    • Layout
    • Multi-Row Formula
    • Output Data
    • Poly Build
    • RegEx
    • Render
    • Running Total
    • Sample
    • Sort
    • Spatial Info
    • Spatial Match
    • Spatial Process
    • Summarize
    • Summarize In-DB
    • Table
    • Text To Columns
    • Tile
    • Trade Area
    • Unique
    • User Macros
    • XML Parse

Cause

Something changed in the metadata, and the field/ column is no longer available. Perhaps the name was changed upstream or deselected in an intermediate tool. For example, if the Summarize tool returns this message, it means that the column it was expecting to summarize is no longer in the data stream (and is followed by the {Action} that the Summarize tool was performing).

Resolution

Compare the tool configuration with the input stream. Trace backwards from the erroring tool to find out where the column went “missing.” See Cross Tab image below.

Comments
Thankins94
5 - Atom

Hello, I am getting this error when running my macro, but do not see the field in a select tool. Do you have any suggestions?

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@Thankins94 
You should open up your macro and see what field names you have throughout.  If you need assistance and you hold a paid license, you can open a case with Customer Support to help you.  They will need for you to provide your macro and possibly some sample data as well.

RobPearce
8 - Asteroid

I'm getting this error, but it's not giving me a field name, just a pair of empty double quotes.
There are 4 fields in my formula, they are all numbers, they are all going into the formula tool, and they all have a value for every record.

Is my Alteryx just broken?

lepome
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

@RobPearce 

Is it possible that there is a field somewhere that is implied but not actually defined?  Perhaps a space in an upstream Select tool in the "Rename" column?  Maybe a pair of brackets in a Formula Expression?   You might find it helpful to look at the Metadata at every connection tracing back from the point of the error.Places to check for "empty" field names.Places to check for "empty" field names.

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @RobPearce, to bounce off Lisa's post a little bit, when there is a field somewhere that is implied but not actually defined (the error contains empty double quotes), often the Output Column has not been configured; i.e. you did not give your new field a name. Can you verify on your end?

CristonS_0-1628286131534.png

RobPearce
8 - Asteroid

Found my problem:  I'd added a second "expression" that I hadn't done anything with - i.e. no column selected, and no actual expression written - And Alteryx couldn't deal with its existence.

CharltonFranklin
8 - Asteroid

I'm trying to use an analytic app to change from a dynamic field in the workflow to an analytic app defined field. I created a simplified version to troubleshoot what I'm doing wrong. The problem seems to be with the left action, but it looks like it's configured fine.

CharltonFranklin_2-1645143559183.png

This what I'm doing in that action:

if [#1] then 'False' else 'True' endif

In debugger, I get this error:

CharltonFranklin_0-1645143353425.png

But the e-mail configuration is like this and when I run the debug file, it runs fine:

CharltonFranklin_1-1645143418158.png

Justin_B
8 - Asteroid

Comment removed.

AXC0370
5 - Atom

Hi 

I'm getting the below error, using a dynamic input, Could you please advise? 

AXC0370_0-1658326933416.png

Katinasg
5 - Atom

I am getting this error, but wondering what would be the best formula to use when your data might change often. My replace function is looking for a certain data type, but sometimes its there and sometimes it is not. 

kalteryx
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

The field “” is missing. Compare the tool configuration with the input stream

I'm having the double quote issue that @RobPearce described. However, I don't think Rob's solution fits my situation. As well, I've looked at the Meta Data & other items suggested by @lepome 

Are there any different suggestions?

I'm experiencing this within the Multi-Row Formula tool. And, I've selected "Update Existing Field".

kalteryx
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Nevermind, it was a dropdown issue.

champybh
7 - Meteor

This is a very frustrating error for me right now. I have XML Parse tools linked together, I need to run one before I can get the outer XML of a child element in a result set. I take this outer XML and put it in another XML Parse tool. It works fine when I run locally but trying to get it going on the server or analytic app causes issues. What can I do!!! Capture_Field_Name_Missing.JPG