Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Tools with Optional Inputs (specifically the Directory tool)

Hello,

It would be helpful if some of your tools had an optional input.  For example, the directory tool is of course very helpful at the beginning of a workflow, however I have several workflows that create or pull in files, rename them, edit them, etc.  I then need the directory tool to check that folder for the newly created files and then to feed that downstream.  The problem is that when I have the directory tool feeding into the workflow, it fires immediately noting that no files are in the folder.  I would love if the tool had an optional input so you could choose to put it in the middle of a workflow in an attempt to force it to hold off on firing until its turn.

Even better would be if the dynamic directory tool would allow for dynamic folders to be fed in rather than pinpointing a specific file....since it has an input, that would suffice and the user could either pick the regular directory or the dynamic directory if they wanted it to fire off in the middle of a workflow.

2 Comments
KylieF
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team

Thank you for your feedback and idea!

We’re currently working diligently to insure all product ideas are reviewed and commented on by Alteryx when the necessary criteria are met. If you haven’t yet, check out our Submission Guidelines which go over the idea boards in a bit greater detail.

AlteryxCommunityTeam
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Accepting Votes