The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Text Pre-processing tool bug

Hello!

I recently had a use-case that needed me to start using the text mining tools for a reporting based workflow, and i had pretty good success. However, my workflow does not always have data being brought through it, and when 0 results are supplied to a Text Pre-processing tool, it produces a bug and log file. I imagine this is a small fix, just a weird one to run into.

Steps to replicate:
1- Add a text input tool with some dummy text values as part of a field

TheOC_0-1625041927041.png

2- Add a text pre-processing tool to the workflow, and configure it to use this field and English.

TheOC_1-1625041976621.png

3- add a filter tool, prior to the text pre-processing tool, to filter out any valid results

TheOC_2-1625042026104.png

4- Run the workflow

TheOC_3-1625042045969.png

TheOC_4-1625042053768.png

As the data cleansing tool does not behave similar, I fully believe this to be an unintended outcome.

4 Comments
CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

hi @TheOC good feedback, thank you!

veeliang
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hello @TheOC,

Thank you for the feedback. What do you expect to happen in the above workflow when no data is supplied to the Text Pre-processing tool? E.g. You don't expect to see an error at all, you expect to see an error informing you that no data was supplied, etc.

TheOC
15 - Aurora
15 - Aurora

hey @veeliang 
I would personally expect this to error and say that no data was supplied - i think 'unexpected error' doesn't help me troubleshoot at all - and makes me suspect there is an issue with the tool itself.

Cheers,
TheOC

CristonS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

Researching!