Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Support for GZIP (.gz) compressed files in input tool, both in Designer and Server

Please support GZIP files in the input tool for both Designer and Server.

I get several large .gz files every day containing our streaming server logs. I need to parse and import these using Alteryx (we currently use Sawmill). Extracting each of these files would take a huge amount of space and time.

This was previously requested and marked as "now available", but what is available only addressed a small part of the request. First, that request was for both ZIP and GZIP. What is now available is only ZIP. Second, it requested both input and output, what is now available is input only. Third, while not explicitly stated in the request, it needs to function in Alteryx Server in order to be scheduled on a daily basis.

50 Comments
AndyMoncla
10 - Fireball

Absolutely need this.  Thanks for suggesting it.

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: New Idea

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
AndyMoncla
10 - Fireball

I have read it before.  What are you suggesting?  Thanks.

JessicaS
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

Hi Andy, 

Just flagging that we are keeping this idea open and linking it to the other article so new discussion on  GZIP is posted here.  We flagged the other article to move discussion on GZIP to this post.

Thanks, 

arnold_slabbekoorn
7 - Meteor

We need this functionality as well on OUTPUT tools. When working with S3 and Snowflake they require gz GNU zip and not the regular zip format. For large files this would be a must need for us.

denny
8 - Asteroid

Please add support for gzip file in both Input and Output tool.

The function should work regardless of whether the file name suffix is .gz or not!

For example Bloomberg back office data file has the filename suffix of *.gz.<yyyymmdd> which is gzipped.

ClaudiaV
7 - Meteor

Hello

I have the same problem

Does anyone has a macro to share?

Thanks

denny
8 - Asteroid
Yes. Tar should be supported too.

Thanks,
Denny
213.486.1793 (91793)
ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

In addition to gzip, does anyone also have a need for tar file support?