Community Spring Cleaning week is here! Join your fellow Maveryx in digging through your old posts and marking comments on them as solved. Learn more here!
The Product Idea boards have gotten an update to better integrate them within our Product team's idea cycle! However this update does have a few unique behaviors, if you have any questions about them check out our FAQ.

Alteryx Designer Desktop Ideas

Share your Designer Desktop product ideas - we're listening!
Submitting an Idea?

Be sure to review our Idea Submission Guidelines for more information!

Submission Guidelines

Support for GZIP (.gz) compressed files in input tool, both in Designer and Server

Please support GZIP files in the input tool for both Designer and Server.

I get several large .gz files every day containing our streaming server logs. I need to parse and import these using Alteryx (we currently use Sawmill). Extracting each of these files would take a huge amount of space and time.

This was previously requested and marked as "now available", but what is available only addressed a small part of the request. First, that request was for both ZIP and GZIP. What is now available is only ZIP. Second, it requested both input and output, what is now available is input only. Third, while not explicitly stated in the request, it needs to function in Alteryx Server in order to be scheduled on a daily basis.

50 Comments
blyons
11 - Bolide

I was so looking forward to this, but unfortunately, it still doesn't work. See https://community.alteryx.com/t5/Alteryx-Designer-Discussions/GZIP-support-not-working-in-2018-2-Inp...

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)

All, we have released .tar.gz Input in 18.2 and are looking at how to implement .gz.

Best,

Alex 

ARich
Alteryx Alumni (Retired)
Status changed to: Under Review

denny
8 - Asteroid

@ARich:

Thank you for the update.

JQuerido
5 - Atom
Hi - thanks. I'm talking about tsv.gz files, or in this case gz only?

Joao Querido
Data Analytics and Insights Manager
CHANNEL 5 BROADCASTING LIMITED

Any views or opinions are solely those of the author and do not necessarily represent those of Channel 5

The information transmitted is intended only for the person or entity to which it is addressed and may contain confidential and/or privileged material. If you are not the intended recipient of this message please do not read ,copy, use or disclose this communication and notify the sender immediately. It should be noted that any review, retransmission, dissemination or other use of, or taking action in reliance upon, this information by persons or entities other than the intended recipient is prohibited. E-mail communications may be monitored.
JQuerido
5 - Atom

Hi - any updates on this? I'm trying to do the extract with a tsv.gz file?

denny
8 - Asteroid

Based on what I'm reading, tar.gz files are supported starting in the 2018.2.4.47804 release.
Although I would use the latest 2018.3 release, given it's released on Oct 2nd.

Cheerio,
WJC

DanM
Alteryx Community Team
Alteryx Community Team
Status changed to: Implemented

Gzip and tgz have both been implemented as of 2019.1 in the Input tool.

Wendy
5 - Atom

My App works fine as a desktop solution reading and extracting from a .gz file, but it seems it is still not supported on the server. Can someone share a workaround. Also why does the server has so many limitations, is there a doc/resource which specifies what is supported on the server and what not?

kamgib
5 - Atom

Snowflake has gained a lot of traction now and their default compression is gzip. The ODBC bulk loader is not the most robust connection with rows over 1 million,  to be able to output to gzip and put into a table stage is a huge help. Please add to both input and output tools.